Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better grip for the 642 that buffers the pounding I get where the backstrap impacts the web of my hand between my thumb and index / trigger. I've read rubber is best option but haven't found one that covers the backstrap that doesn't have a longer hang grip thus printing. I carry IWB appendix and just that extra finger grip or length protrudes eneogh to print. Best case scenario would be stock rubber 642 with some rubber over the strap... I love it, can carry 24/7 without any discomfort. Just when I shoot it sucks and if it wasn't for my need to practice shooting monthly I could accept it. Thanks, I know someone out there has the answer. Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Auto part Composite material Handgun holster
Grey Personal protective equipment Electric blue Font Bicycle part
Auto part Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Electric blue Pattern
Ruler Office ruler Wood Material property Tape measure

· Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your question has been asked before. Do a quick forum search on the 442 and you should see several viable options. Or, wait a bit and someone will be along with their solution.

· Registered
49,042 Posts
Hogue and the Delta ERGO are two of the better ones

Reactions: Loubud

· Registered
18,087 Posts
The Altamont Altai grip is wood, but configures the gun to more of a square butt and its a hair wider so recoil is distributed over a bigger area. They are a bit long than the rubber boot grip but not enough to prevent my from pocket carrying
they are about half way down the page
https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/j-round/

· Registered
2,065 Posts
I've had the Hogues for many years. My palm would ache after shooting a box of ammo, but with these grips I can shoot it all day long with no issues.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
7,214 Posts
I too favor the Houge's. They don't call this class of snubs knuckle-busters for humor. Another solution is the matter of what you feed it. Several of us favor wadcutter target loads for EDC. The recoil is milder, recovery faster. Hornady also offers a loading that mimics .380 in bullet weight etc. What you can find in today's marketplace?

· Registered
276 Posts
I opted for the 3” Taurus 856 Defender for the stainless frame. Also has the exposed backstrap, but at 24oz, it’s a pleasure to shoot. Extra 10oz goes a long way in terms of comfort and recoil management.

· Registered
913 Posts
My .02 cents, up your game to a K-Frame. I love those little J-Frames, but they’re snappy. I believe you should practice shooting frequently, with your carry gun. I’m more likely to practice / train with my M19 than any of my J-Frames.

If you are committed to your J-Frame, practice & carry 38 Special Wadcutters. They won’t expand, but they will never get smaller. At 800+ ft. per second, Wadcutters are a formidable defensive round that’s not too punishing for (you) the shooter.

Stay safe...

· Registered
615 Posts
For myself, revolver grips have proven to be a “try it and see how it works” kind of thing. If that doesn’t work, then try standard pressure 38s, and then wadcutters. I went to wadcutters for my 642-1, and eventually returned to the all steel J frames.

· Registered
8 Posts
Is there a better grip for the 642 that buffers the pounding I get where the backstrap impacts the web of my hand between my thumb and index / trigger. I've read rubber is best option but haven't found one that covers the backstrap that doesn't have a longer hang grip thus printing. I carry IWB appendix and just that extra finger grip or length protrudes eneogh to print. Best case scenario would be stock rubber 642 with some rubber over the strap... I love it, can carry 24/7 without any discomfort. Just when I shoot it sucks and if it wasn't for my need to practice shooting monthly I could accept it. Thanks, I know someone out there has the answer. View attachment 580695 View attachment 580696 View attachment 580697 View attachment 580698
I use Crimson Trace LG305 on 642 & 649, seems to work well for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts