Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and this topic may have been covered, but I can't find it in a search. I just purchased a new 637 Airweight and found that my old Safariland Comp-1 speedloader wouldn't work. The back of the speedloader hit the rubber in the stock boot grip just enough to keep it from lining up straight for insertion. After researching this issue online, I found that S&W apparently went to a different grip recently. The original Uncle Mike's boot grip that they put on their Airweights had a checkered pattern and no logo. I never had a speedloader problem with my older J-frames with those grips. The newer grips have a smoother stippled pattern with the S&W logo. While they look very similar, there is apparently more rubber in the relief area and this keeps the speedloaders from working. I use the gun for concealed carry and for home defense. I'll use speed strips for concealed carry, but I like to keep two speedloaders with the gun in the nightstand so this affects my intended use of the gun. I have written S&W about this problem since they still show the original Uncle Mike's available in their accessories catalog. Guess I'll use speed strips until I get the problem resolved.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

You may want to consider going back to a pair of Pre-1990 "Magna" type stocks and adding a Tyler T grip adaptor, as seen here on an N-Frame .357.

I set up both of my 640-1 Centennial Magnums that way. I don't find recoil to be an issue. These are my regular always carry guns.

Failing that, if you must have rubber stocks, then consider the Pachmayr "Open Back Professionals" as here on my Model 60 which is obviously a Kayak & Tackle Box Gun....

There is no problem with speedloader clearance when using either of these stock configurations....

Good Luck and glad you could join us!

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts