Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals, Range report!

Well I finally broke-in the Master Hunter and sighted in the scope. I've had it for awhile, but never shot, waiting to mount a new scope, never got new one so mounted the old red dot.

I took it to the range Sunday and broke in the bore as I described in the Gunsmith section. C Pierce and Giz suggested I lap it in but I was not able to obtain before the shoot. (I think the lapping can be done at any time.) So I broke it in by "Burnishing" the barrel with the first 6 shots. I've done this for years on new guns.

Gun:
M629-4 Performance Center Master Hunter 7 1/2" Magna ported 44 Mag.

Ammo: 24 rounds, Rem 240gr JSP.

Distance:
25 yds indoors

Process: Swab bore w/solvent damp patch and firing. Clean bore and dampen again for next shot. Repeat for the entire cyl of 6.

So I did this for first cyl, while moving the sight to right toward center. I shot 24 rounds in all and the 4th set of 6 are centered in 1.75" group, plus the last round from cyl load 3. So 7 in that group. Here's the summary and Pics: (I label each set of six rounds by Cyl#, where 1x (is first) and 1s are first 6, the 2s are 2nd and so on)

Cyl1: round 1x first shot (ever!), 1 above it in 8. I moved scope right 1/4 turn. (Keep in mind I'm swabbing with damp patch, each time)
Next 1, 1 are in 9, I moved scope 1/4 turn right.
Next 1, 1 are X and 10.
2 adjustments in Cyl1

Cyl2: 2 was far right so I move back and over adjusted so I slowly moved back to right and after 3 adjustments I was close. I was cleaning bore damp then dry after shots on cyl2.
Total cyl1&2 adjustments to 5.

Cyl3: 3,3,3,3 all line up vertically, but to left slightly. Made adjustment 1 click to right. These are high at 25 yds because I expect at 100 it will be on X.
3 was close then last 3 was where I wanted it.
Total adjustsments 6.
Cleaned bore again.

Cyl4: All 6 in 1.75" no cleaning.

Ultra Dot Red dot

Lead Burn

Birchwood-Casey Lead Burn wipe

10 minutes later. (notice anything not found on guns often these days)

Now to fine tune that to 100 yards, I'm happy with initial results.

I love this gun it shoots soooo sweet with the magna porting kick is very low. I could shoot this all day long.

Anyway it was a fun day hpzl;n;

Dave

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
3+ comments:
1) Great Shooting
2) lgnngp That bore is clean
3) Gotta love the lead cleaning cloths on stainless too!
You really have something to talk about there.
Beautiful wheelgun. Nice setup.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wendy and GQ,

Thanks for the kind comments. I can't stop thinking about the whole process and outcome. It was a great time. One thing is that I was able to do this at my own pace, which helped a lot. I was able to look at each shot and mark it after shooting.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a winner! bgrafsr!

You win the accolades from Me! kfjdrfirii LOL. And Admiration from all! :lol:

Anyway, I knew it wouldn't take long for the experts here to notice.

I didn't know it was like that when I bought it! Shhhh!

Dave

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
A tip of the hat to you Dave. Nice shooting with a great looking S&W. Are you going to stick with the red dot or do you have something else in mind? With results like that, why would you?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mick,

Thanks for the tip o' hat. That was the first time shooting that one and I'm still smilin'. I think it is better than me tho.

I've had the red dot for 20 years and originally had it on the Classic Hunter, I got an 8pt whitetail at 90yds. Then I put it on the 648 for awhile and then I got this gun on impulse. It is scope gun only, so I figured on getting a new one for it. I wanted a lighted rectile 2x scope, so I can see at 100yds now since my eyes are 20 years older then when I got the red dot. So 2x is on my want list, but I'm OK with it.

But you are right, it is a very fast accurate sighting system. I like that you don't close the weak eye, you look at the target both eyes open and not focusing on looking through the scope. You really only see the dot on target and don't "Look through the scope" per se.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update Range Report 50yds Re: 629 virgin no more!!

Hi Folks,

I have an update on the sighting-in the 44. Sunday, me and my bud went to the Sharon Valley DNR range and I haven't been out there in a few years and it's like a gun owner's amusement park now. Our hunting license $ at work!! Great set up and real nice range guys. The one I talked to said the same thing I did just now and he works there now.

Anyway, stage TWO of the sight-in of the 44. Remember I said that being 3-4" high at 25yds would be centered @ 100. Wrong!

I was very high 100 about 1', at 50 6-8" so, I shot cyl full to get it on target at 50. The last 18 are on this target.
I made 7 sight adjustments on this target, at start 2 shots then adjust. First 2 are high/rt and I worked my way in from there.

1,2 High/Rt
3,4 lower/rt still high
5,6 high/lf still high
7,8 still high/rt
9,10 low/rt
11 lf
12 rt touching circle
no more adjustments
All last 7 in/on circle @ 50yds.
First 6 Rem 240 SP, last 12 WinWB 240 SP.

I think that this gun is much better than me, it was hitting the same hole on several pairs of shots.

So, this weekend I go back for 100yds with a new target so I can see it, I got those reactive targets, I saw a guy with last weekend. You can see the hits out there at 100 w/o sighting scope!

BTW, I was able to dial in the red dot so the dot was same size as the center circle so it matched circles and shot. Was a fast process.

I hope it goes well this time. I am even more impressed with this PC gun each time I shoot it.

Dave

·
Registered
668 Posts
what a great hpzl;n; range :geek: report :ugeek: !!!

where'dja get that target print out?

Wanna do that with a couple snubbies?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey m657, Thanks.

I got the printout on this site somewhere, and I got new 'puter and don't have the file here. I got it at work, tho. But I think if you go to sportshooter.com you'll find it.

I was real curious about the WinWB 240s vs, my ole standby the REM 240, but I think they performed as well or even better. So I'm happy since I can get the Wins 50rds for $33 vs REMs 25rds for $40.

I'm real happy with the gun and can't wait to shoot it again. Anyway, I wanted to document this gun (and ammo) as much as possible while shooting it, knowledge is very useful. I hope it helps others to use similar systems.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
WGLIDE, Do you plan on using the Ultra Dot for hunting? While not as good as a 2X scope, I always thought that it would be it would be OK under 50 yds.. The Ultra Dot has variable sized dots....does it have crosshairs also, like a scope? Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Bob,

Yes I am planning on hunting with it. I had it on a 6" 629 and bagged a 8 point at 90yds. So the system works fine at longer distances.

Originally when I got this gun I wanted to get a 2x or more with lighted reticle, but never found exactly what I wanted. That's why I've had this gun for several years and never shot it (no iron sights).

So I mounted it up on the Master Hunter.

At 50 the gun is extremely accurate and I sized the dot to the bullseye on target. I'm looking for much more out of it than 50 yds. It's 100 or nothing for this one. I bought it for no other reason.

Now on deer I want the dot as small as possible, but if there is a lot of sunlight I have to have the dot on higher settings to see it. So in low light it is the best, w/high light it would be nice to have a cross hair. It's a trade off for using this kind of system. My experience is that I usually see deer in low morning and late afternoon light, so I'm going with that to be the common factor. I got the 8pt at very hazy low first light in morning so the dot was set small. Got point of aim shot.

Dave

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Good for you, Dave!!! kfjdrfirii If it's good out to 100 yds., it's all you need. But, sometimes, when hunting, you need a low powered 2x scope to get a good shot. Especially when you get to be 60!!! :eek:

Old eyes need all the help that they can get. No more iron sights for this guy!!! (Except on my CCW guns.) :cry: Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
!!!!Update Range Report 100 Yds Re: 629 virgin no more!!!!!

OK guys, this 44 is just amazing. hpzl;n;

3rd Range report on 629 Master Hunter
100 Yards

I went back out to the DNR Sharon Vally range for the last sighting-in to get it at 100 yards.

So after studying the 50 yard target all week, I know the gun was still running high from my shots the week before so I set up a target just to get on the paper. I shot the first 4 were high, I aimed low got on paper and just tried to keep it on paper for the rest of 8 rounds. No sight adjustments. Now I was comfortable shooting at the targert at 100 (folks it looked a long way out there, could barely see the target features).

The below is the practice target on left and the sight-in target on the right.

So then I set up the second (above right) target and loaded up six.

First shot: Hight / Right

Sight adjustment: 1 click down

2, 3, 4 shot Dead Center / Right

Sight adjustment: 1 click left

5 shot Dead center (well hair low)

6 shot Little high / Center
I forced this shot. So I put the gun away. I'm Dead-ON at 100 Yards. I am totally amazed at how easy it was to get it on. This gun put shots 2nd, 3rd and 4th shots in 2.38" group @ 100.

I have had the most fun shooting this gun than I have in a long long time.

Now, all I need is to see that 12 pointer at 100 and he's mine :mrgreen:

Dave

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
Great updated range report. I would be doing well to see the target clear enough to hit that accurately. :lol:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
wideglide, you know...you might shoot better if that barrel were round. I think that flat spot on the bottom is affecting the bullets.

Just kidding, good shooting!!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ha Wendy...

I hear ya, the real hard part was problem I have with the new targets I bought. They are the reactive type and they show the hits nicely but these have an orange center and my RED dot was about same color. I couldn't see the dot very well, plus it was very sunny out. So....

I set the dot size same as the center and when I lined it up and the dot dissapeared I fired. I counted on concentric circles being the aim alignment. It seemed to work OK.

Dispite, DaveWW's point about the flatside barrel! :mrgreen: Funny how that round bullet gets though that square barrel.

500 this one doesn't look like any of my others but it's gaining favor every shot!

Dave

1 - 19 of 19 Posts