Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 629 .44 today 6" they wanted $600. (California) at a shop but a few things bothered me.
Grips not original
Soft springs ( not necessarily bad) but not original
Screws weren't buggered but there was the amateur tweak on top of the side plate. You might not notice if you didn't know the difference
kick me I didn't look at the series number or dash
should I grab it? I can wait for another ,but it sure feels good
I have a Redhawk 7 1/2" and Virginian Dragoon 8 3/8s? This felt like it had power steering

_I moved this from the lounge________________
Army Veteran
Hand Loader

Last edited by thomashoward on Thu May 14, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thomas , it sure would be great to get 629s of any dash # for $400-$500 range these days.

Unfortunately, unless you position yourself to see a LOT of guns, at shops and shows ,and online, you would probably look quite a bit before you found a deal.

6 bills is not unreasonable. How long have you been shopping? How long are you willing to wait?

Do you have any minor players in your collection that you could take in and trade?

These are all questions I have to ask myself. And you ARE looking at a stainless N frame in 44 magnum.

You sound as though you already like it a lot ,I'll bet a dollar that you go back in the next 2 days and at least check it out thoroughly ;) .

Good luck! ,regards ,Allen F.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Allen-Frame said:
Thomas , it sure would be great to get 629s of any dash # for $400-$500 range these days.

Unfortunately, unless you position yourself to see a LOT of guns, at shops and shows ,and online, you would probably look quite a bit before you found a deal.

6 bills is not unreasonable. How long have you been shopping? How long are you willing to wait?

Do you have any minor players in your collection that you could take in and trade?

These are all questions I have to ask myself. And you ARE looking at a stainless N frame in 44 magnum.

You sound as though you already like it a lot ,I'll bet a dollar that you go back in the next 2 days and at least check it out thoroughly ;) .

Good luck! ,regards ,Allen F.
you're probably right. Not like I need another, ok I need another .44, I just do not have an N frame ,44 Smith. Seeing this opened up another possibility. first preference would be a .41.. I do not have a double action .41 yet.
I generally never go looking for anything specific. They usually find me. Unless new, in which case I research best price. Good used guns are where you find them. My money lately is going toward more iron, as it is not worth a tinkers dam in the bank

·
Registered
668 Posts
...it's getting harder all the time to find an N frame for much less than $550 these days, and most are more....

and it's hard enough to find decent L frames for under 500 much less 400...or ANY shooter J,K model for under $350....around here at least...

although a buddy scored a REALLY nice 10-8 for $320 last week....damn his eyes....beat me to it.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts