Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum but not exactly new to Smiths. I have two 357's (four inch 13-1 and six inch 626-4) and am considering picking up a 44 magnum revolver. I've seen some info on both 629's and 29's and am a bit puzzled regarding the real world differences. I'm presuming that a new gun model should have improvements to increase longevity and performance, but I see lots of comments lauding the older guns.

I've come across a nearly new six and a half inch barrel 29-10 (200 rounds down the pipe) with the presentation box, cleaning kit, hard case, 200 magnum rounds and a leather holster for a couple of hundred under the purchase price for the gun alone. This can be had for $1,200 CDN. However I've seen a number of comments that make me hesitant to go for it.

1. What is the difference between a full under lug and partial? Does this affect recoil or what?
2. Is the lock an issue?
3. Does it really matter if the barrel is pinned, what is the difference?
4. Same with the recessed cylinders, is there a special reason why the new models are flush?

Thanks in advance for any comments. DH12.jpg

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum. Some of us old timers prefer the older hand-fit guns & the extra smooth actions, however the new MIM interchangeable parts have an advantage to those of us who spent decades getting paid to fix broken guns.
1. Full underlug adds a bit of weight to the muzzle & some people (including me) feel it balances better & slightly less muzzle rise, some see no advantage.
2. Some of us (including me) have had a lock freeze a gun during shooting, I remove them on my guns. Most people have no issues.
3. The difference between pinned barrels is newer unpinned barrels have tighter threads to keep them from loosening. Both systems work fine.
4. S&W engineers found center fire rimmed cartridges don't need to be recessed to be safe & it was eliminated as a cost-saving measure.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,685 Posts
I love my 4" 29-2 .44 magnum. The 29-2 was the last model 29 that was pinned and recessed. I prefer S&W revolvers without the lock. The newer guns have improvements. If I bought one, I would remove the lock. Just my preference, most people never have an issue with the lock.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
I like the pinned and recessed versions, more “panache”

Thewelshm

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I would prefer an older 629. That being said if you got a great deal on a newer 629 then go for it. My carry gun has the infamous lock and I have shot hundreds of rounds through it with absolutely no trouble. I not a big fan of taking something off of my guns that were put on by the factory. As you can tell I love stainless revolvers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. The older guns certainly have an allure to them (like my 13-1) but I hoped that the engineering changes applied to the new guns were not somehow regressive. I feel much better about the new gun now.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I have a 29C with the full underlug and compared to a 629 with the partial log that I used to have, the balance is better in my hands as Injunbro stated and I find a noticeable difference in recoil. Hence the 629 going away for something else. For ease of maintenance in a hunting/wood walking gun, I would prefer the stainless finish, but not enough to sell my 29C and find a similar 629.

Good luck with your search. S&W 29-8, S&W 29C-01.jpg

·
Registered
21,964 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing the pic we like that here.:)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
207 Posts
I really enjoy my full lug 6 1/2" 629. One of these days I may find a 29 I can afford, but for now I'll leave those for you guys.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. The older guns certainly have an allure to them (like my 13-1) but I hoped that the engineering changes applied to the new guns were not somehow regressive. I feel much better about the new gun now.
Laydown, then go to the range....The feeling will pass mate! :)

thewelshm

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Banned
917 Posts
I don't know half as much about revolvers as somebody like Injunbro, so I prefer to get mine new, just
to avoid abused and problem guns.
That, and I live in "North Central Humidity"(oh, look, the humidity is all the way down to 79%, this evening)
so I prefer something more rust resistant than Bluing.

So it's the new SS 629, for me. Full or half lug, I have both, can't say either is actually better.

But I do like the Hogue Grips that come with the new 629. Not much to look at, but great to shoot.

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Howdy and Welcome.

Personally, I prefer the looks of a Blued finish but appreciate the utility value of stainless............shorter barrels to longer barrels.............older guns (preferably P&R) to newer models (MIM & IL) but I have several MIM & IL S&W's notably models that are unavailable in older versions (or so costly as to make them cost prohibitive)...........shooting with rubber grips and showing with nice wood/stag/ivory/pearl............partial lug v/s full lug............fat bullets at 1000-1100 FPS v/s small fast projectiles (SD loads)..............double action (double & triple taps) v/s single action shooting............positive retention holsters v/s friction fit.............God, America, women, beer, rock & roll, dogs and motorcycles.

Ta Da...............abbreviated version of the important things.

Glad to have you join us,

Geezer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts