Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I´m a new user here. I´m from Austria and a hunter since a teenager. I´m also into handgun shooting on paper and as a backup for hunting since a long time.

Today I ran across a pre-lock 629 Mountain Gun in a local gunshop. I didn´t ask how much it is or what dash series, but tried do do some research first. It really got my attention, but as we are restricted in numbers of hanguns here, and I don´t want a MIM part gun taking a precious place on my licence, I figured out it has to be a dash -3 or -4 to get to me (as the MIM starts with 629-5, right?).

While doing my online research, I came across pictures of case hardened hammers and triggers as well as stainless steel versions of this parts for models described as dash -3 and -4. The same goes for black front sight ramps vs stainless ones. Would both of this be original for these dash series?

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard. MiM parts for triggers, hammers, etc.. are fine and I own several newer model S&W's and never had a problem. Mechanical issues can arise from forged or MiM parts. The more desirable models are P&R with target hammer/trigger or standard forged (case hardened) parts and they tend to be more $$$$$$. Let us know if you get the 629 and please include some pics...we'd love to see it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
21,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Echo what Curt said. Either will work and serve you for a long time. Just get the one feels best to you.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes I know, MIM parts are fine!

I don´t really need this gun, I have a 586-3 4" and two .38 snubnoses which already fit all my needs! It is just the desire to own it, shoot it and carry it occasionally when hunting (As a backup, we are only allowed to hunt with rifles and shotguns here). And as there is no logical reason to own it, there is also no logical reason that I prefer forged parts. It´s just more oldschool!

@Curt360: Correct me if I´m wrong, but as the Mountain Guns first came in 1989, there are no P&R ones as that was dropped in 1982. Also correct me if I´m wrong on that one: A stainless steel part can also be forged, it doesn´t mean it´s MIM just because it´s not case hardened or blued, right?

Still my question: I saw a lot of 629-3 and -4 guns on various online pages with stainless as well as case hardened hammers and triggers. If oiginal, is there any reason for this? Did S&W randomly throw in what they had at hand?

If I get it I will surely post pics

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Phil 109,
S&W is famous for using older usable parts during a transition/change in production which would explain the variety of triggers with different versions of the same model revolver. So yes...they threw in what they had left. Also , no a SS part is not considered a MIM (MIM : part made out of powered metal/ binding material). Hope this info was helpful. I'm sure other members will expand on this. :cool:

Later,
Curt

Reactions: Phil 109

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I see. And yes it was helpful, thanks!
The reason for my question was: If the gun is a dash -3 or -4 and I buy it, I wanted to know if it is original or reworked in some form, which here in Austria would most likely been made from any local gunsmith instead of beeing shipped to S&W. And also may be a hint to some form of abuse done to the gun.

Meanwhile a picture of my 586-3, I have it for around 20 years now. Got it for 300 Euros back then.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Nice looking 586. Any possibility you could get a couple of pics of the Mountain gun? Would help us with answering more questions you may have.

Reactions: Phil 109

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will at least take some couple of days for me to visit that gun shop again. Then I have to figure out if it´s in my financial range at all. Second, it has to be a bargain, if not I rather look for a P&R blued Model 29 in the long run. I´m not sure if I´m allowed to take pictures, as it might be a private commision sell.

Keep you up to date anyway, thanks for your help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts