Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got a used 629-6 V-Comp for some steel plates fun.

Always clean when it's new to me.

1. Cylinder Spins A Little Rough. Think the cylinder has not been detailed cleaned. Thinking there is fouling gunking it up.

I'd like to disassemble the cylinder. Did read the FAQs.

Just don't want to turn the extractor rod the wrong way.

Watched a few YouTube videos as well. But want to hear from our members here.

Confirming that you would drop cases in the cylinder, place extractor rod in padded vise and turn the cylinder clockwise to loosen.

2. Bare Metal on Front Sight. The front sight is showing holster wear and the bluing on the top is worn down to bare metal. Have a Birchwood Casey Gun Blue Pen, some Aluminum Black in a bottle and a a touch up pen or two. Which would you use?

Thinking the front sight is steel so Gun Blue pen.

Your guidance would be appreciated please.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Hey J,

Swell looking revolver!

I leave the yoke in the cylinder for removal & installation of ejector rod.

Yes. The current production is a "left handed thread".

I tend to use fishing lure paint on my front sights.... Or install a McGivern Bead or a fiber optic....

With paint, I use a white base coat. Then the color of choice. I use a GREEN paint, as I can see the green better than other colors...YMMV.

For cast bullet fun, I use a 240gr LSWC, 7.5gr UNIVERSAL and a WLP. 900fps from 8-3/8" revolver. 1150fps from 24" 1894CB.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just could not get that extractor rod free from the cylinder to detail clean underneath. Put the cases in too.

Put in the leather padded vise and the rod kept spinning in the vise. Didn't want to gorilla torque on the rod and crush. No budge!

But I really cleaned and hand polished with Flitz polishing compound and man did it smooth thing out!

Any tips for the future to get that rod out of the cylinder?

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Reactions: TennSharpshooter

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Thanks msharley!

But which one - small or large? I have several Smiths as you can see from my signature line.
Hey J,

Believe the small is for "J" (and "I")

SPECS: Aluminum, black. 1½” (3.8cm) diameter x ½” (1.3cm) thick. S&W Small - .228” (5.8mm) I.D. Fits S&W J frame. S&W Large - .246” (6.3mm) I.D. Fits S&W K, L, and N frame.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,678 Posts
Just could not get that extractor rod free from the cylinder to detail clean underneath. Put the cases in too.

Put in the leather padded vise and the rod kept spinning in the vise. Didn't want to gorilla torque on the rod and crush. No budge!

But I really cleaned and hand polished with Flitz polishing compound and man did it smooth thing out!

Any tips for the future to get that rod out of the cylinder?
Seems like you do not have too go any further. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts