Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot my grandfathers s&w 629 since u was about 15 so almost 13 years. I bought a new one earlier this week and went to the range today, l. Now his has a scope on it so hitting targets at 75-100 yards was a cake walk. well today at the range i goto they have a 12" circle metal plinker target. with the factory open sights and no adjusts made I was ableaving to hit it 3/6 tines. I was absolutely amazed, thst the pistol was thst accurate right of the box. now getting it nice and clean again is a different subject, took me an hour to be satisfied with it! thst carbon and powders gets every where and is a pain to get all off to get 5 he pistol looking as close as I could to factory new. But I love this handgun. have been shooting my grandads for almost 13 years so I was already very familiar with the firearm. I was amazed at how accurate it was right out of the boxm I will keep this gun until I die or get old and bu anothere one and give my son that one. it's family tradition to buy a very nice revolver when the Sun or grandson and this case has reached manhood in the eyes of his elder which means having a family job kids and handling your business this handgun will never leave me and I am super impressed with it always have been since the first day I shot it

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
:wlogo:Welcome to the forum!:wlogo: Congrats on your new wheelgun!

·
Premium Member
19,655 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, PBR! We like pictures. You might want to check into Strike Hold. It's a dry lubricant that bonds to the metal and keeps carbon from sticking. Makes cleaning up much easier. Did I mention we like pictures?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Welcome! From Ohio (the heart of it all).
Others know more about it than I, but I believe using Full Metal Jackets won't dirty it up.

·
Super Moderator
19,637 Posts
Welcome to the forum. For years we've been telling members that their S&W wheelguns were hunting accurate with some practice. I've never tried to ring a plate at 100 yds., but I've done it at 50 yds with my model 14. and factory sights. Most of these are terribly accurate and are capable of using for hunting, as long as the cartridge power is suitable for the game intended. I know a couple of guys that hunt deer with their model 29's annually. and they always bring home a deer by end of season.
Congratulations on the acquisition.
BTW, a Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth is highly effective at removing the lead and carbon for guns. It also leaves a light gunsafe residue that'll help prevent build up the next time out. You can get it a just about any sporting goods store, or Walmart in the sporting goods section.

Enjoy your new wheelgun and be safe.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the welcomes and also the info on cleaning and making cleaning easier. I will post of picture of the gun in a litter but once I get the kid to school. s all of yall have been so welcoming, and informative, thanks again!

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,029 Posts
welcome to the forum - one of the best things about a stainless gun is the ease of cleaning it up without worrying about trashing a blued or nickel finish.. .

there are several options - but I use ADCO E-Z BRITE "Wonder Cloth" to clean the front of the cylinder and inside topstrap/forcing cone area.. some good CLP of your choice with a cleaning toothbrush will handle the rest.. shoot, clean, repeat :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts