Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need a little help from the 'gunsmithing' members.
I own a nice 629 with the following problem:
Pull the trigger in the double action mode it sounds
like a mercedes car door. In the single action mode it
sounds like a tin door car. And mostly no ignition
of the round. Any suggestion?
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is this a new purchase? Have you or anyone else "tinkered" with it? If it is new and as it was in the box from the factory, write, email or call the factory. It has a warranty. Tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The difference between SA and DA is the sears. Sounds like the hammer drops cleanly from the DA sear, but something is interfering with the hammer drop from the SA sear. The SA sear is completely out of the way for the DA drop. There may be some debris on the surface of the hammer/trigger SA interface. It can be easy for sand or something else to get into the internals when the hammer is cocked. Has it worked properly before? Maybe it just needs a good (sideplate off) internal cleaning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

thank you very much for your help. Mainspring is correct and I cleaned the gun inside. Now I do what I usually do at last:
I go to a competent gunsmith. I will inform you what happen. Thanks again for reading an your helpfull comment's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,
it's me again. My favorite smith is still in holliday. I decided to open the gun again. See what happen's. Any comment?
The parts are very slick! Thank you very much for your pantient. Thank you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
It does look clean. The hammer does travel further to the rear in SA, so there is a potential for some drag against the bolt, frame or sideplate. Can you move the trigger and hammer through their full range of motion without feeling any rubbing. Are there any 'witness' marks on the hammer from rubbing the bolt? Sometimes the hammer (and trigger) have to be shimmed to prevent rubbing on the frame openings. Shims are available from Brownell's. Since you have the SA sear engaged in the photos, I assume you clearly understand how it works. I would expect to find that one of the parts drags on another, around that position. If not something must change when the sideplate is attached. It looks like there may be some drag marks on the hammer from the sideplate. You might try installing just the hammer and the sideplate, to see if there is any interference. If not, add the bolt and check again. Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It just occurred to me that there is another potential cause of your problem. I've read about it, but never have seen one myself.

The pin/shaft that the hammer pivots on may be bent. That could cause the hammer to bind against the frame. This is a delicate and complicated repair. Delicate because if the pin is bent, it is probably work hardened and may break if you try to straighten it. Complicated because it will change the fit of the sears (particularly the SA sear) and could make the gun unsafe. It may require refitting the SA sear, which is a skilled task.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It just occurred to me that there is another potential cause of your problem. I've read about it, but never have seen one myself.

The pin/shaft that the hammer pivots on may be bent. That could cause the hammer to bind against the frame. This is a delicate and complicated repair. Delicate because if the pin is bent, it is probably work hardened and may break if you try to straighten it. Complicated because it will change the fit of the sears (particularly the SA sear) and could make the gun unsafe. It may require refitting the SA sear, which is a skilled task.
Hi,
first thank you for your interest and help. I can't see any misssfit of the hammer pivot. I made pictures of the hammer trigger sear. I will go this week to a smith. Member of S&W Club in Europe. I will inform all interested people of The Forum. Thank you. View attachment 477393 View attachment 477394 View attachment 477395

1 - 16 of 16 Posts