Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum! Thanks for the help in advance! I have an opportunity to purchase a model classic 629-4 6.5 inch ported barrel and have a few questions.

1. Did the porting come from the factory?
2. What defines 629s that did or did not have porting?
3. Was the 6.5 inch (vs. the 6 inch) barrel for porting?

Any other information you can share about this model would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yeah, That is a factory thing. S&W called it a power port. Don't know how long it was offered but short lived I believe .
Some thought it helped others not so enthusiastic.
I had one on a 6" 686 that is no longer here and on the 357 it seemed a little unnecessary.

I also have one on a 632-1 but I think I would have preferred to have the barrel a 1/2 " shorter.

Maybe on a 44mag it may be more useful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, That is a factory thing. S&W called it a power port. Don't know how long it was offered but short lived I believe .
Some thought it helped others not so enthusiastic.
I had one on a 6" 686 that is no longer here and on the 357 it seemed a little unnecessary.

I also have one on a 632-1 but I think I would have preferred to have the barrel a 1/2 " shorter.

Maybe on a 44mag it may be more useful.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
True Collector .. Porting was only done in 1990 and about 3,500 gun produced with the porting before it was dropped ..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Do the current 586 L comps still sport that porting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in process of buying a 629-6 with the 6” barrel. This gun comes with the porter barrel also but it’s a2006 model according to the envelope snd first fired shell. Are these a hard to find pistol?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts