Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local gun store has a 629 classic DX 6 inch magnaport barrel. $650.00.

Why on earth would I pass that up?

Does Magnaport really reduce value?

Should I run and snatch this up tomorrow?

Have not seen it in person but I'm going to call tomorrow morning.

Am I missing something?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PS: I already own a 629 5 inch classic and I love it. It's my favorite firearm I own. Never had a magnaport barrel but I'm certainly interested in seeing the difference between it and the 5 inch.

Moe

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
That should be one of the most accurate .44 Magnums you will ever shoot. Magna porting never bothered me value wise unless it was on a pre model collector type gun. Buy it and you will enjoy it. I don't think you could ever lose a penny at that price.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mo,

The ports will really help with muzzle jump...

Hit the Buy Now button! (then post pics) LOL

Have FUN!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't imagine why it would be so low.

If the bore is clean then it's coming home with me.

Probably won't be able to get my hands on it until this weekend but if it's right then I'm most certainly going to pull the trigger on it.

Wish me luck.

Could be a very nice diamond in the rough.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mo,

Nephew has a 4" MagNaPorted 45LC. Recoil is significantly less than the 6-1/2" with same Ammo!

You are going to be out of ammo in a hurry. (I load a 240gr LSWC over 7.5gr Universal, for 900fps from 8-3/8" revolver)

Enjoy....

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
For that price I would be dislocating my shoulder reaching for and pulling my wallet out of my back pocket.
Hopefully it's true Magna-porting, and not somebody just adding some blast ports on the end of the barrel.
The only problems I see with Magna-porting, or other similar process done to a handgun is the monstrous amount of additional noise.
The gun will also have a rather annoying additional amount of side blast and a small concussion wave. When first shooting it I recommend using both ear plugs, and headphones.

The advantages are that accuracy improves quite noticeably, and the recoil is greatly reduced.. That extra bit of air gap before the bullet leaves the muzzle takes some of the shockwave out of the bullet leaving. Bullet speed drops so very little your POA/POI is rarely changed.

Please post some photos of it once it's home.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gun shop says no box, no extra sights, no extra grips. It's on a set a pachmayers which i like. 650 before tax and NICS.

I'm going to jump on it.

Guy said it needs a cleaning but doesn't have much wear.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a picture from the seller.

Now that I bought it I can share it!

Very excited to compare it to my 629-5 5" classic.

·
Super Moderator
19,364 Posts
It is genuine Mag-na-Port. You did extremely well on that price, congratulations.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trapezoidal cuts. Have I said how much I love this forum, it's members, and it's wealth of knowledge.

I didn't get to look at it. But hopefully it needs nothing more than a good cleaning.

Now I'm really excited!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Mo,

Yep! You will soon have a new FAVORITE in your Stable!

Good for you!!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I called Smith & Wesson and ask them about the serial number of my gun. She was able to pull it up and said that it was manufactured in 1997. The serial number starts with CAC5XXX. FOR SOME REASON THAT SEEMED A LITTLE BIT LATER THAN WHAT I WAS ABLE TO FIND BUT I DON'T HAVE A COPY OF THE LATEST SMITH & WESSON CATALOG.

I ALSO ASKED HER IF IT WAS A TRUE 629 - 4 CLASSIC DX AND SHE SAID IT WAS BUT WHEN I ASKED ABOUT THE BARREL LENGTH SHE SAID THAT IN HER RECORDS IT WAS NOT RECORDED WHAT THE BARREL LENGTH OF THE FIREARM WAS WHICH SHE SAID WAS WEIRD.

I ALSO ASKED HER ABOUT MY 629 - 5 WHICH IS A 2000 which is a CEF serial number.

on this firearm she was able to tell me what the barrel length was by looking up the serial number.

I had to put my background check paperwork in today so I will hopefully pick up the gun sometime next week. It is dirty needs a cleaning and needs a Polish but hopefully I will be able to bring her back to life.

I have used mother's compound on the cylinder and had good results. Is this something I should try on other parts of the revolver such as the barrel. It seems as if only the engraving is faded which I'm hoping once I polish it will become more pronounced again. Hopefully a cleaning will help more than the Polish.

Most of my firearms have been in good condition I don't want to ruin any especially a classic DX. I was able to test the trigger and the action and it seems very very very good. If I could clean the gun up nicely it would certainly be a great find and a great shooter.

if anyone would be able to provide any recommendations I would certainly be grateful.

Thank you,

Moe

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also forgot to mention that they had another 629 there with hoag rubber grips with the silver medallion. I managed to convince the gun store to let me have them I just need to replace them with a another set of Hogue grips which I have from my 629 - 5. I could always buy another set from hoag for twenty bucks they just won't say Smith and Wesson on it and that's something I can live with.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just took ownership of my 629 Classic DX. The Bore in the barrel is better than my 5 if 626-5. Trigger is just as good without the WC upgrade springs and Yes the screw is flush with the frame which is always a great sign.

The only knock on this gun is that the laser engraving has seen better days. At 20+ years old and who knows how many owners and cleanings the classic DX is not as pronounced as it is on my 629-5. Something I can certainly live with.

I mounted the Medallion Hogue grips to it after I got finished cleaning the gun up. All those grips cost me was a crappy pair of Pachmeyers.

Over all I'm throughly happy with my purchase and can't wait to shoot it.

Was still waiting to hear back if anyone has any insight on the last model code of the 629-4 and I'm also interested to see if SW ever informed someone that they can not identify what barrel was supposed to be on the gun.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts