Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. I recently acquired my father’s 629-3 .44 Mag. Just wondering what massive grips these are. They literally wrap around my hand. I have several OEM spares, so I’m sure I have the originals. Just wondering about these. They have no markings. Thanks in advance! EDIT: I forgot to add: Do they add any value, or should I install the original grips? I don’t intend to shoot it much, if at all.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! They look like Sile grips, but the wood appears to be French walnut. They are beautiful. What does the inside of the grips look like. Sometimes jig marks help identify the maker. They could also be Fitz grips but should be stamped Fitz on the bottom.

My First Real (Wood) Fitz Grips

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! They look like Sile grips, but the wood appears to be French walnut. They are beautiful. What does the inside of the grips look like. Sometimes jig marks help identify the maker. They could also be Fitz grips but should be stamped Fitz on the bottom.

My First Real (Wood) Fitz Grips
Thanks for the response. When I get around to it, I’ll disassemble and have a look and update if there’s anything noteworthy.

·
Premium Member
20,709 Posts
This is a stock for a K frame that is likely Fitz, but without the imprint on the butt. Very similar to the OP's grips. But the quality of the wood on the OP's grips sorta leaves Siles out, IMO.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I don’t have any idea about the grips, but the gun is absolutely beautiful. I love the unfluted cylinder. I bet it shoots like a dream. You didn’t ask, but I can tell you for sure what it is worth. PRICELESS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the kind words and feedback, folks. My father’s had pretty good taste in guns, and I acquired these S&Ws as well:
36 snub-nosed .38
659 9mm stainless
57 .41 nickel
686-4 .357 stainless
39-2 9mm chrome
Colt Commander
His nickel Colt Python will be coming my way, but I already have the exact same. It’ll be a nice collection to hold onto for quite some time!

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
162 Posts
What close up clarity ... Really admiring those pics , OP. Almost like being there.
BTW the Colt Python has a well taken care of brightness to it. Sharp.

Reactions: Poppyboy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.