Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE ONE I PURCHASED NEW AWHILE AGO AND HAD PORTED BY MAGNA-PORT,AND AM WONDERING WHAT IT WOULD BE WORTH? IS IN EXC. CONDTION

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Early .44 Mountain Guns are desirable, but Magnaporting permanently screws it's collectibility. This gun is now a High End Shooter.

Assuming there was nothing else done to it, I would say it's worth a little more than a 29-2 shooter and that's about $450-475. The origional box, tools would add about $25.

Your revolver should have a Flash Chromed Hammer & Trigger and the Firing Pin should be on the Hammer.

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The earliest .44 "Mountain Revolvers" and "Mountain Guns" had Forged Parts that were flash chromed.

Forged and Color Hardened would not be original to the gun.

Many folks however mistake the MIM parts with their cloudy metal finish to be Color Hardened.

It is possible that someone upgraded the MIM parts to Forged. In fact, I did on one of my first Mountain Guns, a .45 Colt. The MIM parts were some of the very first of such and the fit was bad. Trigger was terrible. Worst I had seen on a Smith & Wesson product in 35 years of collecting. Rather than try and tweak the MIM parts I installed a Forged, Color Hardened Hammer and Trigger.

My estimate of the gun's remains the same.

Drew

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Slim... use your inside voice!
:cool:

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
He did that for me Chris. I cann't hear so well :lol:

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Slim, As Drew has stated, your gun is, now, a high end shooter.
Magna-Porting only makes a revolver more pleasant to shoot. Shoot it and enjoy it. That's what I look for in a gun. ;) If I wanted just to look at them.......I'd put gun pictures on the wall!!!! njgapjgj Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts