Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this 625-8 Performance Center for about two years and haven't shot it a lot. Last year I had to send it back to S&W because the forcing cone had some deep tooling marks and unfinished from about 9:00 to 12:00 and I couldn't hold a group to save my life. After three months of them refusing to warranty it and back and forth (long story) they finally replaced the barrel under warranty and sent it back and it's shooting great.
Yesterday I decided to take it apart and clean things up a bit inside and after removing the side plate I turned it over and the sear fell out on my bench with the spring just as you see it in the pictures. Since it just fell out this way before I even touched it, is seems as though it was assembled incorrectly at the factory and the spring was mashed from the start. I'm really surprised it functioned correctly.
I'll call S&W on Monday and see what they say as far as replacing the spring for me but in the meantime I've been looking online for another spring and it seems there are two available, for MIM sear and non MIM sear. Judging from the looks and the fact that it's a newer gun I'm assuming it's an MIM sear. From what I see online most sites that list the springs for MIM are out of stock/backordered so I'm guessing there out of stock at S&W also.
My questions; is this a common thing, can it happen from normal use or am I correct it assuming it came like this from the factory? If it's common I should probably keep a couple in stock and is there something I can do to prevent it from happening again? Also, is a non MIM sear available anywhere?
So far I'm not really impressed with the quality of this "Performance Center" gun.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Hey B,

If I were you, I think I would try to get a couple of those from POWER CUSTOM, Brownell's, Midway or Cylinder & Slide.

When/if you get one (get a spare) put a dab of grease in the "pocket" to aid assembly.

Hope you get it running soon...

Later, Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got off the phone with S&W. Got right through to CS, no wait. Told me they're sending two of them pronto no charge. Good customer service but still don't feel I should've had to do this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.