Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trapmonkey

The gun may or may not fire the loads but would not be first choice for a powerful revolver. 45 acp is marginal at best for Deer sized game in the US. Close shots only which are not the norm in Africa.

Anybody going to Africa ought to take something that they don't care about loosing. This from many years of African travel. If you are sure you can get a pistol into the countries planned, get a Ruger In 44 mag or load a 45 LC heavy, cheapest one you can find. Good chance of it not getting back home.

Boats

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks boats... its weird, i have a .44 in africa already, just trying to see if i can use the 625 for something else.

The 625 will be my new IPSC revolver, but i really like the 625, so it would just be cool to take some game with it.

cheers, tm

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to sound negative, That 45 acp advice is standard. Get close and they will kill no doubt. However a 44 mag with a longer heavier and smaller diameter bullet going faster is going to penetrate much better. I have two 625's but for hunting take the 25-5 45 LC, and Just on Feral pigs and Whitetail deer.

Have had about everything taken one time or another on African trips. I think they can see it in your eyes, something you care about. My routine now is "my friend would you like to have it ?" and make sure it's worth very little.

Boats

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is no longer is legal to sell on your arms after a trip. Especially in RSA, Namibia, Bots, Zim and Moz. As far as I know there are real issues with bringing hunting arms into a country and leaving without them :).

Also I hear the state department has some issues about that kind of personal export situation as well.

As I am in a country which licenses every arm and requires you to return with the gun you exported for overseas shoots within 14 days, the point is pretty moot.

I just love the way 625s shoot and thought it would be great if i could say that all my arms have had their share of hunting fun :)

tm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Losing a gun in many African countries will not just need explaining but can put you in prison. I can't remember if it is Kenya or Botswana, but one of these for resident gun owners if your gun is stolen it can be a 7 year prison term for you for not securing your gun properly.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did not mean to suggest leaving a firearm behind. I had a 700 Remington stolen as well as a pair of high dollar binocs, and lots of small stuff too. I working 6 years for a shipping company, all over Africa probably a hundred trips, hunting infrequently, most of my problems were in the West but have experienced it in South Africa too. Shipping you see theft everyday. Not just overseas in the US too. It seems the worse the local situation is better off you can be, outfitters and agents smooth things with the local authorities. "Dash" is the local term. Few bucks and your baggage goes through hand carried. Let the locals do the "Dashing" though you can be set up if offering the money yourself.

On the US regulations. You get a US goods registration certificate from Customs on departing the US show it on your return it's not firearm specific same form for a camera or watch anything you need to bring back in, they are never matched up. My stolen Rifle reported to the Airline keep the report but no one in the US ever asked about it. If they did having a rifle stolen in transit is not a US crime. Illegal export is, I was frequently asked to carry some hard to get US weapon out or have such items carried on our ships. Never did and don't recommend it. Penalties are severe.

Best advice is use the guide or outfitters firearms.

Boats

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have taken a handgun to South Africa and Zimbabwe, on three seperate occasions with no problems.

I have been lucky in that I have not had anything "come up missing".

·
Registered
843 Posts
US Customs forms are most definitely firearm specific and require the serial number as well as type make etc of gun. Its main purpose is to simply prove the firearm originated from the US. US customs is hit and miss on checking serial numbers against the custom form on re-entering.

You also have federal airline regulations as to what can be transported and how, there are weight limits as to ammo. A big problem is that the airline employees are not always well versed in these regulations. Airlines can also impose stricter regulations as S.A. now requires ammo to be in a locked box.

In addition to all of the above you have to comply with the laws of the country you are temporally importing into and in some cases countries you are traveling thru. Some countries require pre-approval in the form of some sort of license. Most are very careful on registering serial numbers on entering and checking them on leaving. If you travel to Zimbabwe via England even though your guns are technically in (bond) transit not in the country they will pull your guns and hold them for your return. As they will not allow even sporting arm to go from England into Zimbabwe.

I have made well over 30 safaris into different countries usually things go well occasionally you will have a problem.

I have traveled a few times with handguns without issue. Many years ago on several occasions I left either handguns or long guns as gifts after going threw the local requirements.

You need to depend on who ever is arranging your trip to make sure you are up on current regulations!

Len

1 - 9 of 9 Posts