Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some 250 grain Berry's bullets to reload in my 625 45. Acp pistol.

I've loaded the 200 grain flat nose bullets without a problem. The box says .45 ACP on them.

I noticed when I unpacked these 250 grain boolets that they are 45 LC.

Both are .452.

I'm not shooting heavy loads as these are just for plinking.

A. Should my 625 be concerned that they say long Colt on them?

B. Should my titegroup load for my 200s be a good starting point for my 250 grain boolets.

C. Anything i should look be concerned about?

Thanks,

Moe

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Moe,

I use 3.4 to 3.5gr of CLAYS behind those, with a Fed 150.

Very accurate and clean, with low recoil. (set a bunch of clay dux out at 100yds, it gets tiresome walking out to replace them, as once the "hold over" is figured out, four clay dux per cylinder is about the norm) LOL

Will take BOWLING PINS clean off the TABLE! :D

You will want to "expand" the mouth of the case a bit more, than you do with regular cast bullets, and you may/may not need to adjust the crimp (as compared to what you use on cast bullets)

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Reactions: moebravo

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I bought some 250 grain Berry's bullets to reload in my 625 45. Acp pistol.

I've loaded the 200 grain flat nose bullets without a problem. The box says .45 ACP on them.

I noticed when I unpacked these 250 grain boolets that they are 45 LC.

Both are .452.

I'm not shooting heavy loads as these are just for plinking.

A. Should my 625 be concerned that they say long Colt on them?

B. Should my titegroup load for my 200s be a good starting point for my 250 grain boolets.

C. Anything i should look be concerned about?

Thanks,

Moe

Why would you think a start load for a 200 gr bullet would be good for a 250 gr bullet??
A heavier bullet will use less powder (all other things equal) if you go to Hodgdon and look at the difference between a 200 grain and 230 gr you will see a difference. A 250 gr bullet will be even less.

So using the 200 gr start load would probably be a MAX load for the 250. I don't like messing with Tite Boom anyway.

If they are plated then they are NOT "Boolets":eek:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I use 260 grain cast bullets in some of my ACP revolvers. I like Unique powder but have used others.

Will your load for the 200 grain bullet also work for the 250? I do not see the recipe for your load so I will say that it is a definite maybe. Check your load manual and see what it says.

Your 625 is a stout revolver but no sense pushing things that need not be pushed.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
The reloading manuals are not recipe books (like you'd use in the kitchen). They are each the documented result of measured experiments.

When you are not following them exactly, you are performing your own experiments. If you don't own the instrumented barrels to measure what's actually happening in the chamber and barrel, you're experimenting with 35,000 to 50,000 PSI blind. Many loads experience multiple peak pressure points. Pressure peaks build at a number of points in time, including the process of pushing the bullet out of the case, and the engagement with the barrel leade. It can also continue to build with a slow powder as the bullet starts traveling down the rifling.

Your results may not destroy things, but it's hard to know how close you are to a dangerous experience.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks.

I use 3.8 of titegroup under a berry 230 gr plated.

This is well under min load and is a great plinking load which is all I'm looking for.

This is where I would start with the 45LC 250gr Berry bullet.

Was just looking to see if anyone had experimented with this before me. Specifically using 250gr plated bullets and titegroup in a 45acp case.

If no one has I guess I'm the guinea pig.

Moe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts