Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon. I've more than one 4" 624. I've long desired a 3" .44 and I've come across the parts to swap a 3" barrel. I'm not able to do the work myself, so I have two questions. Is this a foolish thing to do and if not, who
Revolver Fluid Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

would be a good choice for the work if one lived in Western North Carolina. Thank you for your opinions.

· Registered
3,386 Posts
Having tried to carry a 3” N frame, I decided to stay with the 4” version for edc. The shorter barrel allowed the grip frame to fall away from my torso.

But, it is your choice. I do not know any revolversmiths in your part of the country. Andy Horvath is the fellow I trust when I do not do my own work.

Kevin

· Premium Member
287 Posts
Sounds like a great project. I've converted two revolvers in the past, replaced barrels and changed square butts to round. Any good gunsmith, not a parts changer, should be able to swap the barrels.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
I did my own conversion on a Model 65 4". Found a 3" barrel on EBay, replaced it, bobbed the hammer and ground the square butt into a round butt. Whole thing took me a few hours. I had never even taken a revolver apart before, much less do surgery on one.
View attachment 588033 View attachment 588036
Did you use frame blocks to remove and install the barrels? Or did you clamp the barrel in a vise and use a hammer handle through the frame to turn it off?

· Registered
5 Posts
Did you use frame blocks to remove and install the barrels? Or did you clamp the barrel in a vise and use a hammer handle through the frame to turn it off?
NO! No hammertime :) I started to build frame blocks and then realized that a parallel jaw clamp I had fit perfectly on the frame. Barrel in a vise, frame in the clamp and gently pulled till it freed. Spun the new one on the same way. No marring or anything, like it was purpose built for the task.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Jorgensen-24-in-8000-SERIES-Parallel-Jaw-Clamp/1000988318

· Registered
3,588 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
I did my own conversion on a Model 65 4". Found a 3" barrel on EBay, replaced it, bobbed the hammer and ground the square butt into a round butt. Whole thing took me a few hours. I had never even taken a revolver apart before, much less do surgery on one.
View attachment 588033 View attachment 588036
You lucky bunny. I'm trying to do the same thing to my 65, but can't find a 3" barrel at all. Worst comes to worst I guess I can buy another 4" and have that one chopped down. Looks great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts