Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am trying to imagine what could cause a cartridge to collapse like that.

I remember once years ago seeing a cylinder that was cut for a different number of chambers than it was fluted for. I wonder if this one could be indexed for a different number of chambers than it was drilled for.

Does each chamber properly center and line up with the barrel when indexed by the hand in the action?

Are there the same number of flutes in the cylinder as chambers in the cylinder?

Did each cartridge discharge, sound and feel correct as you fired it, and hit the target?
mrerick, I will have to send those question in with the gun. I can't answer wether it is indexed for a different number of chambers than it was drilled for. I do believe that the chamber properly centers and lines up with the barrel when indexed by the hand in the action. I'm not aware that my 617 was fluted. I have had nothing modified on the gun. I will pose that question to S&W. All the rounds fired did sound normal. Nothing happened that raised any red flags while shooting. Thanks for your input mrerick.

· Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
You should be able to just visually inspect the cylinder. Post pictures.

· Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
Are the shapes of the small triangular areas that the "hand" pushes to rotate the cylinder all uniform, or have they got worn or inconsistent appearances? It's hard to see the details.

Is there any looseness between these small hand rotation projections and the cartridge ejection projections and the cylinder itself? When you push the ejector rod, does the center rotate in any way separate from the rest of the cylinder? Are the ejector rod and the cylinder tightly screwed together (note that this has a reversed left hand thread)....

· Registered
187 Posts
Wow this is unusual. I wonder if this is not ammunition problem. The collapsed case with the bullet still intact looks like the primer burned and used up the oxygen in the case. Thus creating a negative pressure issue. Similar to sucking an egg into a bottle by dropping a match in first. Maybe no or too little powder in the cases?
I would suspect the Golden turd ammo is the culprit here. I gave a way almost 1000 rounds of this junk ammo this past year as it would not work in my 10/22. JA

Reactions: sparkyv

· Registered
25 Posts
S&W most likely fired a few cylinders to verify their work. When they overhauled my Model 41 I was charged for 3 mags of CCI Standard Velocity test ammo. Does your report mention testing and what ammo they used?

Also, have you tried a few cylinders of CCI Mini Mags or Tactical?

Good luck. JayCee

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I received my 617 back from S&W. They replaced the cylinder this time. I took it out and two occasions and fired about 150 total rounds of CCI mini-mag 40gr. NO issues whatsoever. I called Remington about the crumpling ammo and they had me send them back three buckets with the same lot number and refunded me what I had paid for. I am leaning toward the ammo having been the culprit. Just glad it is working as it should. Thank you to everyone who chimed in and tried to help. Much appreciated.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts