Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I awoke this morning with a strong desire to have a double action .22 magnum Smith and Wesson revolver. Since I already have a 5-screw pre-17, I thought I might wanna have my 617 cylinder bored to accept .22 magnum, or purchase a new cylinder for the conversion. Does anyone see a downside, or problem, doing this? Should I not bother, and purchase a revolver already chambered for .22 mag?

Thanks for reading, and a Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Gary

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
It will destroy collector value... having said that I've converted a few to get what I want. It cost me an hour or so, a reamer & stamp set to re-mark the caliber. IMNVHO .22 magnum is the most underrated handgun round for either target shooting or hunting. If you're not an experienced gunsmith hire one (not me, I retired) or go buy the gun you want & save the headache you'll create. It's a bit more complicated than just reaming the chamber: correct headspace, bore dimensions, throat, etc..

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
This thread leads me to a question. Are the purpose built Smiths in .22 mag bored to the slightly larger dimension than say a model 17? Seems like it would slightly improve accuracy.

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
This thread leads me to a question. Are the purpose built Smiths in .22 mag bored to the slightly larger dimension than say a model 17? Seems like it would slightly improve accuracy.

.22LR bore used to be anywhere from .220 to .223 depending on who made the barrel & how worn their tooling was. .22 magnum being higher pressure was more carefully regulated @ .224. Depth of rifling varied w/ manufacturer. Today most barrels are .224 for both calibers & rifling depth still varies slightly. All .22LR's should be checked before re-chambering... it could cause some serious problems if you tried to run a .224 slug down a .220 bore. :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for mentioning the 648, looks like a good option. Wondering why Smith only punched 8 holes in the cylinder??

RDR Bill, that J frame looks REALLY nice, thank you for bringing J frames in to the picture!!!!!!

Gary

·
Registered
300 Posts
RoiTan, this is not a recommendation but I bought a M648 Cylinder and had it fitted to my M-617-1. The revolver seems to be as or more accurate with the magnum cylinder installed. The ejector star was changed between the M-617 no dash and the 617-1 and wasn't covered in an Engeneering Change so please identify what you have and obtain an identical Magnun cylinder or ream the one in the M-617. There are several others who have done this on the "J" Frame M-34 & M-63 as well a the K frame revolvers with no apparent problems resulting but proceed at your own risk!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts