Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to posting in any type of forums so if I get it wrong please correct me and I will do better. I recently started collecting Classic Hunter models of S&W relvolvers with influted cylinders. I currently own 3 a 610-1 6 inch, 657-5 6 inch, and the most recent a 629-2 Square Butt that was apparently a small production run of 50 or less. All of them are new to unfired conditions. I was just wondering what information from the experts is out there. I have been going through the forums as much as I can but can't seem to find the information easily. So any information will be helpful. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have some really nice guns! Would love to see some pictures (hint hint).

Meanwhile, pull up a stump and set a spell! Tell us more how you got into collecting Classic Hunters!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMG_5053.JPG
Sorry it's not horizontal. Hopefully it is viewable. My IPhone was not happy with the lighting. I had my first taste of a Classic Hunter 25 years ago when my brother bought a 29 Classic Hunter 8 3/8. I hadn't thought much more about S&W but always admired the one he bought. 25 years later a 657 Classic Hunter was available locally for sale. I just have always liked the full under lug and non fluted cylinders but I favored stainless so I bought it. Next came the 610 as well. The most recent was the 629-1 Square Butt. I kinda impulse bought the last one because it matched my brothers in stainless. Any information about any of them would be appreciated. I researched as much as I could but haven't found much information. I consider anyone here experts on them so please fill me in. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,173 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'd suggest buying a copy of the Standard Catalog of S&W, 4th Edition, by Supica and Nahas. It'll give you a lot more information than most of us can provide. Here's an example:

Model 657: .41 Magnum Stainless

Caliber – .41 Magnum, double-action revolver built on the square butt stainless N target frame with 3 screws, 6-shot fluted cylinder with a nominal length of 1.67”, .500” target hammer, .400” smooth combat trigger, 1/8” serrated black ramp on ramp base front sight pinned to the ramp base with micrometer click adjustable rear sight with white outline sight blade, 4”, 6-inch or 8-3/8” barrel, shrouded extractor rod, checkered Goncalo Alves stocks with S&W medallions, with 10 groove serrated backstrap and forestrap. 1986-2005.

• The .41 Magnum Classic Hunter Stainless: 6-1/2” full lug barrel, N Target frame, Hogue grips, 6-shot unfluted cylinder, .500” target hammer, .400” smooth combat trigger, black pinned ramp on ramp base front sight, adj. rear sight w/white outline, Hogue grips on square butt frame, 52.5 oz. Product code: 103820. Run of 2,000, special for 1991.

(SCSW, 4th Ed.,Page 320).

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I have nothing to add, information wise, but I appreciate hearing of your collection wants and of course the pictures. It reminds me of how diverse our collectable wants are in collecting guns.

I never thought of myself as a collector, but I do have a bunch of snub nose revolvers and some 1917, 45 ACP revolvers from the war to end all wars; I had two uncles in that war.

I thought you might appreciate this model 25-7 with an un-fluted cylinder in 45 Colt, it sure can shoot tight groups on days when I can see the front sight:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes stainless is the next best color to gold it will have to do. Triplock you have an awesome looking gun. I bet it is great to shoot. Guy I will definitely look up the book you speak about. A collection can be one or many of any one type. Or it can expand to the small side and include a 4.25mm Liliput to this next picture or anything in between. This sits in my living room after some convincing of my wife. But it is for a different forum. But a interesting picture to own. IMG_5028.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts