Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past Saturday, I hit my 6th year of rolling my own handgun cartridges. Still happy with my Lee classic turret press. I started in April of 2014 with 45acp & 38 Special/357 mag. By June I had added 9mm and then by summer/fall of 2015 I was also loading 380 and 40. At first I was loading a lot of 9mm but by 2016 I was fully involved with revolvers and 38 specials are what I load the most of.
Lately its been 9mm and I loaded these tonight and last week. These are a 124gr FMJ from Rocky Mountain Reloading, loaded with 5.5gr of Power Pistol and a 145gr Hi-Tek coated bullet over 3.7gr of Unique
9BDD0270-DC4C-4A62-8269-7CDA17FE647C.jpeg

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Congratulations mate, think about how much money you saved:)

Thewelshm

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Since I don't reload, generally how long does it take most of you to complete 50 rounds of 9mm or 38?
Mark will probably jump in here ,but I could do them after set up in about 15mins, with a progressive. Now if I had case and bullet feeder, as quick as you can pull the handle. Mark has a Dillon 1050, which is basically a commercial press.. look forwRd to his comments.

Thewelshm

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonight I did 150 rounds of 9mm in 1.5 hours, and I wasn't pushing it. That time includes getting out the components, double checking my recipe, and when done putting everything away, labeling the ammo I loaded and recording it in my log book. Longer cases like 38 and 357 take a bit longer but not much. My arm gets tired of resizing that tall brass before I hit 100, so I go a bit slower

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Tonight I did 150 rounds of 9mm in 1.5 hours, and I wasn't pushing it. That time includes getting out the components, double checking my recipe, and when done putting everything away, labeling the ammo I loaded and recording it in my log book. Longer cases like 38 and 357 take a bit longer but not much. My arm gets tired of resizing that tall brass before I hit 100, so I go a bit slower
50 in 30mins on a Turret is about right mate, don’t need to break records.:) you would like a progressive, but if you like what you have? Power to you mate..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Go Blue !!!

Mark will probably jump in here ,but I could do them after set up in about 15mins, with a progressive. Now if I had case and bullet feeder, as quick as you can pull the handle. Mark has a Dillon 1050, which is basically a commercial press.. look forwRd to his comments.

Thewelshm
Hey Welsh,

Have two 1050's, one for 45acp & 45LC (separate heads & shell plates, both are large primer calibers) the other for .38 Special (small primer) and a 550.

On a 550, one can load 500rds/hr of 45acp. About 400rds/hr for 38, .44, .45LC, 30-06. For 22-250, 38-55 and 45/70 its about 300 to 350rds/hr.

On the 1050, can handily load 1,000rds/hr of 45acp or 45LC. Can only get about 800 to 900rds/hr on the 38's.. Arthritis stinks. LOL

For a new shooter, I highly recommend the Dillon 550C. The most user friendly progressive machine made. Easy to change calibers. No fuss. You want to make ammo? Start pulling the handle:D You can feed one case at a time, until you are "sure" how to work the machine.

Accuracy of ammo loaded on the 550 is second to none. Note the 22-250AI pic. :D

The 1050's have a rather steep "learning curve"...if something messes up, can take a bit to fix it....(like the forsaken small primer 45acp brass:mad:) They will make ammo fast and reliably, and rarely mess up...

One learns to avoid some things, like "Seller & Blow" brass. Leave it lay. :D

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Hey Welsh,

Have two 1050's, one for 45acp & 45LC (separate heads & shell plates, both are large primer calibers) the other for .38 Special (small primer) and a 550.

On a 550, one can load 500rds/hr of 45acp. About 400rds/hr for 38, .44, .45LC, 30-06. For 22-250, 38-55 and 45/70 its about 300 to 350rds/hr.

On the 1050, can handily load 1,000rds/hr of 45acp or 45LC. Can only get about 800 to 900rds/hr on the 38's.. Arthritis stinks. LOL

For a new shooter, I highly recommend the Dillon 550C. The most user friendly progressive machine made. Easy to change calibers. No fuss. You want to make ammo? Start pulling the handle:D You can feed one case at a time, until you are "sure" how to work the machine.

The 1050's have a rather steep "learning curve"...if something messes up, can take a bit to fix it....(like the forsaken small primer 45acp brass:mad:) They will make ammo fast and reliably, and rarely mess up...

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
Hard core mate, I’m good with my LNL, some good comparisons with the Dillon 650, Hickok45 likes the 550 Dillon too. That would be a great upgrade for Jones’s...my o2

Thewelshm

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Welsh,

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
Mark, that's not a reloading room, its a reloading factory!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Mark, that's not a reloading room, its a reloading factory!
Hey Jonesy,

You're too kind.

The way I work, need to be able to crank out ammo in short order.:D

Later, Mark

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hard core mate, I’m good with my LNL, some good comparisons with the Dillon 650, Hickok45 likes the 550 Dillon too. That would be a great upgrade for Jones’s...my o2

Thewelshm
Hey Welsh,

The 550 is really quick to change calibers. 30-06 to 45acp.? Ten seconds. (both use same shell plate)

45acp to 44mag? Two minutes. Movin' slow. LOL (change shell plate)

44mag to 38. 5 or 6 minutes. (need to change primer mechanism, call it ten minutes the first time)

Also relatively inexpensive to "change" calibers..

Later, Mark

Reactions: Leo918

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
Nice setups. I use a LNL Hornady progressive press. It improves throughput, but keeps me busy loading components and measuring completed cartridges by hand as I work.

A bit slower, but the quality is there in the output.

I also keep a single stage Lyman press for special projects, decapping and primer pocket swaging.

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
I being in my seventh decade have lost a certain amount of interest in reloading even thou I have one 550 and two SDB Dillon units but did dispose of my Redding equipment. My reloading endeavors are mainly 9X19mm,45ACP and occasionally 44Spl/Mag. I've given up a cross the course rifle competition thus no longer reload for rifles. The data that I use is structured in Bill of Materials format, a little more detailed than some would have in their endeavor's.

Reloading as a hobby, no not really more of a means to a end. At some point it was a hobby out of necessity but no longer as I have the finances to purchase what I need or want within reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts