Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had some free time on my hands and began comparing the fit on some of my pistols. (Yes, I know I need to get out more.) At any rate, I noticed that the slide on my 5906 rattled a little bit from side to side. I purchased this a few months ago from an online dealer (not CDNN). It was described as a used with some wear marks, but in very good mechanical shape. And, when I received it, I was not disappointed. A little bit of cleaning, some lubrication, and off to the range we went. It worked flawlessly and was accurate enough for me. Today, is when I noticed the rattle for the first time. I checked my SIG P229 and the slide-frame fit is very tight, there is some side to side movement but very little (it is a May 2011 manufacture, however, and has less than a 1000 rounds through it). The slide-frame fit on my LCP is also fairly tight, though there is some side to side movement, more than the SIG, but less than the 5906. My Series 70 MkIV Colt 1911 also has a very tight slide-frame fit, no perceptible side to side movement at all (pretty much a safe queen though, not too may rounds through it).

So, I guess my question is how do other 5906's do in the slide-frame fit department and how much side to side movement is too much? Is the rattle on my 5906 simply the result of it being well used by prior owners?

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I would imagine it is usage wear. The only pistols of the 3rd gen lineup that I have noticed appreciable wear in were the types that used the alloy frames. A rattle can be annoying, and to kill two birds with one stone I use a light grease on the frame/slide rails to provide good lubrication and cushion any rattle. The brand I use is clean odorless and clings to where it is applied.
Super Lube - Harbor Freight Tools

Reactions: TexasG and Rcope822

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. For this being a steel-frames pistol, I guess it had to have seen a lot of use! The internals don't appear worn to me, but I am no expert. It shoots well enough, and the grease I use (Weapon Shield) keeps her running smooth and quiet. I was just curious as to others' experiences with the same model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Podskazhite.Srochno need your advice

blame for boring . Suka long sane idea deposits dynamics. For those who do not comprehend , it is not so simple.On the Internet ( a ) To what is. But sane notification of deposits not hammering ).
further reference to the article . has the opportunity to some of you handy.If there is not arranged to move the post please. Thank you.
Âñåãî ó íàñ âàì âûðâåòå áàíêîâñêèå âêëàäû êîèì ìîãóò ïîìî÷ü âû è âàøèì äåíüãàì

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would imagine it is usage wear.
+1. Do you know if it was a police turn in or served as a LE weapon? That model was a very popular choice for police dept's, so it would have some wear if that is its history. I know Century Arms acquired a bunch of those and resell them with great success to gun shops and dealers.

·
Premium Member
17,540 Posts
I've got a Century 5946. Except for the import id, it is in great shape. I would always examine the specific pistol before purchase.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would imagine it is usage wear. The only pistols of the 3rd gen lineup that I have noticed appreciable wear in were the types that used the alloy frames. A rattle can be annoying, and to kill two birds with one stone I use a light grease on the frame/slide rails to provide good lubrication and cushion any rattle. The brand I use is clean odorless and clings to where it is applied.
Super Lube - Harbor Freight Tools
Agree with you on the Super Lube. It's colorless, odorless, and stays where it's supposed to. Hell, I quit buying anything else for greasing rails, preventing galling on the hot spots of the rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DESERTDEWLLER: If you are getting slide rattel without a round chambered that is normal. Chamber a round and check for rattel. If you get it then that is from wear. Which is unusal in SS modles that have been taken care of and lubed.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
A little bit of rattle contributes to the well known reliability of the 5906. A loose slide is not indicative of poor accuracy.

To be perfectly frank (and I'm not attacking), folks have gotten spoiled over the past 20 years or so. It seems that a popular myth has run rampant that if a gun exhibits any sort of rattle, it's an innacurate piece of junk. Mostly this has been caused with the huge influx of companies producing 1911's and trying their hardest to eliminate any amount of rattle whatsoever.

Barrell fit is very much more important than slide fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts