Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cruisin' the pawn shops and came upon this thing just sitting there staring at me like it was a puppy. Big stainless steel eyes just begging me to buy it. "Pet me!" Says it. "Pet me and I'll be yours forever!" So I did and it is. $375 plus tax after considerable whining, wheedling, conniving and sucking up. Yeah, I know, I'm shameless.

Sure cleaned up nice. Except for a scuff or two or three, it is very nice. TVU97xx serial number which makes it about 1991 when it was made. I dunno, not really - just a guess. But I don't care. Whoever had it didn't think much of keeping their guns clean but, like I said, it sure cleaned up nice. It has the rounded and checkered trigger guard, white dot front sight and two dot fixed rear. Quite nice, as my old eyes don't have too much trouble picking them up.

My first stainless steel gun was a Model 629 bought in '79 or '80. I didn't like it. Sold it. Glad to be rid of it. The second was an Automag .22 Magnum. Still have it. Shoots okay. This 5906 is going out with me this Wednesday. When I get back I'll let y'all know how it shoots.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
That's a good buy, {by Az. prices}, did some old Texas horse tradin' practice account for a bit? I could get used to the three dot sights real easy too. Only have one gun with them, but I like them

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
QC,

I think you'll like the 5906. I've had one for quite some time and reall enjoy mine. It shoots like a laser, full capacity magazines are easy to come by and if you run out of ammo you can still use it as a club! kfjdrfirii

I like mine so much I sprang for an El Paso Crosshair holster for it. It is really comfortable and makes a heavy gun much easier to carry. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
Was cruisin' the pawn shops and came upon this thing just sitting there staring at me like it was a puppy.
Funny how they can do that. ;)

Now, get those pictures up already!!! :lol:

·
Registered
402 Posts
QC,
Good score on an excellent pistol at a very decent price. Haven't seen many south of $450 for the longest time. Yep, them guns that talk to you gotta go home with ya no doubt about it. See you're bonded already. :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Congrats that'd be a good price here. And that is still a favorite pistol of mine, about as reliable as a rock and should last forever.

G

·
how about with it not in the holster :mrgreen: does it have a round trigger guard or square trigger guard? and the hammer & trigger are they chrome flash or blackened? thanks john.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think you will like the 5906. We issued them in the mid ninties. I always felt it was a bit heavy for a 9mm, but it was always reliable. We never had any issues with them at all. I hope you like it and will be looking forward to seeing photos.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The technology guru, my wife, just returned from NJ after visiting her new grandchild. Maybe I can convince her to perform some of that technological magic and create a picture or two. Maybe.

Anyhow, yeah, I've noticed that the 5906 is a bit heavy. Took it out to the Peach Orchard and shot a couple of hundred rounds through it. Narry a problem. Pretty accurate, too. I really like the three dot sighting system. As mentioned previously, my eyes ain't nearly as good as they once were and I was able to shoot two-handed without squinting and straining my eyes. I generally shoot one-handed, NRA Bullseye style. Yeah, yeah, I know, but it never fails to impress the newbies to see an old geezer shoot the center out of a target at 25 yards. Oh, yeah, and do it standing on his hind legs, one-handed.

The trigger guard is round with a bit of checkering outboard and both the hammer & trigger are stainless steel as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Now that you have the 5906 you need a Marlin Camp 9. They run on the same mags.... very handy when out 'on the scout', been pullin' on that Tezwin you scrawy water-starved pueblo redskins swill and suddenly you find yourself taken with the urge to scalp some pilgrims.

I got one. :p

BTW, did momma, being the Technical Guru, bring back any "C" Cell batteries? My escape pod needs a jump. I'm stuck here until you show up.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No "C" cell batteries, but she did locate some di-lithium crystals for my sub-lightspeed two-wheeled Speedo. She got promoted to head librarian for the whole district. lgnngp Retirement for me is looking good! Maybe I can zip up there and help you out with the bunker and escape pod one o' these days. You know what you need? A sweat lodge. I'm good at building those things. No bunker is complete until you have a sweat lodge. We can invite Giz and DW down and cook 'em 'til they're medium rare, or maybe welldone .

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
No "C" cell batteries, but she did locate some di-lithium crystals for my sub-lightspeed two-wheeled Speedo. She got promoted to head librarian for the whole district. lgnngp Retirement for me is looking good! Maybe I can zip up there and help you out with the bunker and escape pod one o' these days. You know what you need? A sweat lodge. I'm good at building those things. No bunker is complete until you have a sweat lodge. We can invite Giz and DW down and cook 'em 'til they're medium rare, or maybe welldone .
Crap. I thought you heard me.... I said I'd need Lithium if I had to stay on this rock through another election cycle... Not Di-Lithium.... Back in the 60's I converted my Escape Pod to run on C-Cells but since Gloria Stienhiem became popular you can't find them anywhere.... I've got to get back to Mondo.... I've got to feed Sheena my she-hound. You know how snappy she gets..... When Sheena gets her puss on she makes that savage wench Gloria S. look like Helen Gurly Brown. I guess it's my own fault... I passed out and left the headlights on.

Head Librarian? Read any good books since she came back? There's gotta be a joke in there someplace but seein's how it's your mommacita, Prudence dictates I pass.... ;) BTW, Prudence is sitting right here with me and she says to say "Hello!" (Now back to work Prudy)....

What in the hell would you know about a proper sweat lodge anyway? 12 months out of the year, all you have to do is leave your air conditioned casa and you're half way to a dream quest..... I've been to El Paso when it was 118 (F) at 10:30 PM! In March! The real test is to get a good svet going when it's -35 outside.... I used to date a Finnish Gal in Minnesota and she was all about it... she'd build a big fire, splash on some spring water, pour ice cold voldka down my throat then swat my ass with birch switches..... whoooowheeeee! She sure knew how to turn up the heat.... problem was her whole damn family was in the sauna with us!

Naw.... I want to build my sweat lodge in the old Mohawk way.... Covered with the hides and horns of my trophies and the skins and tounges of my enemies.....

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had one of those once. Back when I bought and sold stuff at the gun shows. I think it was traded into and then at the next gun show it sold. At the Midland - Odessa show. Yeah. That's right. Never had the opportunity to take it out and shoot it. Kinda wish I had, maybe I'd still have it.

Nah, sittin' in a sweat lodge when it's 35 below ain't nothin'. It takes a lot of sand to sit in one when it's 112 degrees in the shade outside and rapidly approaching 160 - 180 inside. The rocks are so hot they glow when you lift 'em outta the fire pit. Nope, don't wanna do that too often. I'm brain-addled as it is. I could get into those birch switches, though. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
I could get into those birch switches, though. kfjdrfirii
Yeah that was a real experiance.... Svetlana (the Finnish Girl) was a real looker.... 'cept one leg was shorter than the other.... She really had me stumped.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts