Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum but have lurked here a while reading other threads.

I recently bought a 5906 from Gun Prime. "Very Good" condition. I was really excited to get it since I have wanted one of these for several years and have passed up a couple and always kicked myself. I don't ever see many of these locally for sale in the shops. When I picked it up it I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I'd be since it was Really! dirty. It also seemed to have a tarnish or patina or embedded bunch of gunk in the finish. It is a darker gray color. It also have a line of greasy dirt/residue everywhere. The kind you can scratch away with your finger nail. It needs a deep cleaning, badly.

I am trying figure the best way to clean this up. A friend told me to "Flitz" it. I don't think that is the best since it appears to be more of a bead blasted finish. I was thinking about just scrubbing it first with a good stiff nylon brush and some de-greaser or CLP and go from there. Anybody have suggestions? Done it before etc?

As for the condition, the gun doesn't appear to have been shot a lot. The barrel seems to have minimal wear, slide it tight, trigger is pretty nice (better than I expected), hardly any holster wear on the front edges, at least way less that I expected, mag and follower look really nice too. This is a LEO trade in.

I have a couple other S&W pistols (9mm Shield and a M&P 22 compact), this is my first 3rd gen. I wished I would have had one years ago, love the metal guns!

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Welcome mate, if you post pics you will possibly get a better response

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
There is You Tube video on how to remove the grip. If you haven't already sooch00 has videos on 5906 and 5903 showing how to field strip. If it were me would clean with low odor mineral spirits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was thinking mineral spirits too, just wasn't sure if that was appropriate. I did order a set of Hogue grips since these are pretty beat up. I like the Pachmyr on my PT92, but they seem to be no longer available for the S&W.

I did find a really good set of videos on You tube of complete disassembly and polishing that I might use. Depends what things look like once I pull it apart.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I was lucky buying my 5906 few years ago , it was rarely fired with a little crud from being oiled and kept in the case. Good luck with with yours , OE delrin grips are available Midway USA and Brownells but sell out quick

·
Super Moderator
19,410 Posts
I would tear it down then run it thru an ultrasonic cleaner. You can buy them from Harbor Freight. It's nearly identical to the one with the Hornady label. And once it's done as a gun cleaner, you can use it for cleaning used brass casings and any jewelry you may have.

This one is $79.99
ultrasonic cleaner.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Welcome! :)

I bought an SKS that needed a lot of crud removal. In this case Simple Green was used on the wood and KROIL on the metal parts. Also, sonic cleaners and Ballistol will get the job done.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
After removing the grip, I spray mine down with CRC Brakleen. Use the tube to spray into all of it's nooks and crannies. Then go back and lubricate the small action and safety mechanism with Mobil 1. lubricate the slide rails with super lube grease. When you clean it the next time, you'll find the dirt just rinses away with the brakleen. you can get super lube at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
Check out youtube for *full* disassembly vids. Look for "bluebelly", or similar.

You need to take it down to bare frame, to get the crud out of nooks and crannies.
Ballistol, ultrasonic, Kroil--ain't gonna do it. It's not that hard and it's a great way
to get to know your new pistol.

Dump bare frame, slide, and all parts into tub of warm water and dishwashing
liquid, and toothbrush/toothpick the sludge out of the detent spring bores, etc.

I picked up a couple of 3rd Gen police returns earlier this year, and the muddy,
non-oil soluble glop down inside every small cavity was amazing. I suspect
a filthy ultrasonic bath drove all the sludge deeper into the small openings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Dj, Sounds like you're on the right track as far as cleaning it. If it doesn't come out as nice as you'd like, you might consider detail stripping it and having it bead blasted. I've done some of my guns, and if done properly the gun will look pretty much like new.

Couldn't find a decent picture of a S&W I've done, but attached a photo of one of my Colts. If you can detail strip your pistol, having the components bead blasted should be relatively inexpensive.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dj, Sounds like you're on the right track as far as cleaning it. If it doesn't come out as nice as you'd like, you might consider detail stripping it and having it bead blasted. I've done some of my guns, and if done properly the gun will look pretty much like new.

Couldn't find a decent picture of a S&W I've done, but attached a photo of one of my Colts. If you can detail strip your pistol, having the components bead blasted should be relatively inexpensive.
Beautiful 1911! I've contemplated the bead blasting aproach. We'll see. I'll post another update on my progress. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
5906 complete.jpg 5906 complete.jpg
Here is an update. I started my taking the grips off and field stripping the rest of it as well. I cleaned it like I normally would something dirty. I sprayed it down with Outer's Tri-lube and scrubbed it with a toothbrush to remove the loose gunk. I then dunked the frame and slide in mineral spirits and scrubbed with a stiff brush I found on amazon. They are made by Otis and work well since they are a lot stiffer than a toothbrush. Once that part was complete I put the slide and frame in a dish and soaked overnight in the mineral spirits. The fluid was noticeably murky, brown and black swirls in it when I opened the dish. I then scrubbed it again with the brush. Once that was done I dried it all off. The gunk was gone but not the tarnished look. After some reading online about cleaning stainless, I picked up a can of powdered Bar Keepers friend. I started by working an are of the frame under the grip to test it out. Then I did the rest of outside of the gun. I put on nitrile gloves, wet my finger and dipped in the Bar Keepers friend and GENTLY rubbed it around like waxing a car/truck. I let it sit for about 1 minute then rinsed. It took some of the tarnish away but not all but I think enough for a noticeable difference. I dried it off, then used 100 psi from the air compressor to dry out all the nooks and crannies. Then liberally sprayed all those areas with gun oil. I let it sit a while and then wiped everything down again. Then did a basic cleaning of the whole gun again to make sure to lube all the proper areas. After reassembly I installed new Hogue grips. It's not perfect but I feel way better about it now. I like the way it feels in my hand better too with the rubber grips.

Like others have said, I think the only way to make it look like new would be to disassemble and bead blast it. I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Maybe someday, for now it seems very usable for a plinker which is what I wanted.

Thanks for all the welcome posts and all the ideas.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Great you have it cleaned up I would never attempt to take one apart. Now all you need is ammo and several distributors have 9mm on sale , pistol is easy shooting and can go through ammo quick. Wolff Springs has recoil springs and service kits if needed

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
I never use WD-40 as a lubricant, but it can be particularly good at dissolving certain adhesives and films. Try a little on the tip of a Q-Tip to see if it will dissolve the gunk.

If so, you can use it on a cloth to clean up things before a final cleaning and proper lubrication.

It looks like they may have sprayed some kind of preservative on it.

Another approach is to try and melt it. A little low heat followed by a wipe with a solvent like mineral spirits.

The trick will be to find out what dissolves it. A very strong solvent is Acetone, but don't get it close to anything made of plastic.

Also a chop stick that has been cut off to a point makes a great crud scraper and corner groove cleaning tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great you have it cleaned up I would never attempt to take one apart. Now all you need is ammo and several distributors have 9mm on sale , pistol is easy shooting and can go through ammo quick. Wolff Springs has recoil springs and service kits if needed
I'm mechanical, so I would do it. There is a youtube video from a guy that shows it in detail, (4) 10-20 minute videos. It doesn't look too bad, just a little tedious on the hammer end of the frame assembly. Just don't know that I need to make it a gun cabinet queen right now. :) I wanted one to shoot. I'm going to shoot it before replacing springs. Everything looks great inside, it doesn't appear to have much actual use, just carried and knocked around for a long time. If it could talk...

This is my 4th 9mm, so I have collected some of the sale ammo. :) I just need some time to get it to the range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts