Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I was at GM today and got tempted by this 586. Is this a factory bobbed hammer? Is it over priced much? The serial # is BDF 9571. Sorry about the phone pic.
thanks - Stan

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well it looks like a factory bob hammer but that rear sight is not factory and I doubt the gun came with a bobbed hammer. It's also a round butt gun so unless its a recent production I'd wonder about that.

I'd try to get the serial # and call smith & wesson to find out how it left the factory.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why would you bob the hammer of a 4" gun with bulby oversized grips anyway?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It also appears that the cylinder release thumbpiece has been cut.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
That gun has been heavily changed. I would not pay more then 225 for it and I may be to high here. I would pass on that one.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
It might be a good shooter and woods gun.......for about $200......if that's what you want. But, since it has been "monkeyed" with, I would check it over carefully, before makling a comittment to buy. It might be a good "project gun" to restore, and then, use as a shooter. Bob

·
Registered
273 Posts
Those alterations in my eyes ruin the gun. However competition shooters frequently bob hammers and change the sights as well as alter the cylinder release. My guess is that is what has been done. Serious competition gun could have many thousands of rounds through it. No way I would pay large for that particular gun.

Well done those S&W tweaks can make a very good shooter. Most are home gunsmith jobs and not well done. I see them fail all the time in matches. Mostly the bobbed hammer light double action guns are real sensitive to primers, use anything hard and they will not pop.

Boats

1 - 10 of 10 Posts