Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here and I had a question. I was offered a 586-l comp but I prefer a 4 inch barrel. I was wondering comparison of the ported 3 inch to 586 4 inch. Felt recoil, muzzle rise etc. as I am a bit recoil sensative due to hand issues. I was even thinking of porting my 4 inch for this reason. Smith and Wesson said a barrel swap to 4 inch on the 586 l comp is not possible. True? So in the end, as I would like a blued seven rounder, deciding between the 586- l comp (a bit lighter) or having a cylinder swap on a 586. As an original 586 with 7 rounds is like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I don't have an answer to your questions but I suspect the 586 I comp barrel is different. S&W went to two piece barrels a few years ago and they probably don't work with older guns. Anyway, I don't like ported guns. The felt recoil is not substantially reduced but the noise level is sharply raised to the point you need double hearing protection to be able to stand shooting it. In other words, it is not "fun" to shoot for me. But, if you want one, there are probably still some folks out there that will cut it for you. Try APWCogan.com and Cylinder and Slide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts