Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at B&N today and was about to pick up the Standard Catalog of S&W. The spine was falling off their only copy so I had to pass (10% discount for the damage!). Anyway, I was reading the entry on the 586. In the engineering updates for the dashes, it said -5 had something to do with a Brazilian contract. I wish I had read it more closely, since I cannot remember what it said. Does anyone know what the 586-5 is? Were these made in Brazil? Sold to Brazil? I may have an opportunity to purchase a 586-5 and would like to know before I buy.

Thanks.

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. welcome01

Now.. about the 586-5.. that particular dash series were made to be exported to Brazil. They came in three different barrel lengths; 2-1/2", 4-1/4" and 6". They are .38 Special instead of .357 mag.

Apparently, not all went to Brazil. Here's the breakdown:
2-1/2", 158 shipped to U.S. distributors and have red ramp front sights.

4-1/4", 200 were shipped to Brazil, and 23 to U.S. distributors.

6", quantity unknown.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Carl. Was this the only version of the 586 not made in .357 mag? None of the 586-5 were made in .357 mag, even those that were shipped to the US?

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
You know, now that I've written all that, I believe I told you wrong.. or, at least not the whole story.

The Brazilian contract guns were indeed a -5 model, but only in the year 1993.

In 1995-96, they were still produced as a -5, but the square butt was deleted.

In 1997, the 8-3/8" barrel was deleted, and MIM thumbpieces were used.

In late 1997 (apparently), the -6 came out.

So, you could buy a -5 that isn't a Brazilian contract gun. It would just be a later version of the dash series.

Sorry about the confusion!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carl,

Thanks for the clarification on the Brazil contract. Would the non-Brazil 586-5 also be .38 special instead of .357 mag?

Joe

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
As far as I know, the Brazilian contract guns are the only 586s made in .38 Special.

However, I learned a long time ago to never say never when it comes to S&W! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts