Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a sweet looking 581 looks really clean, not sure if correct grips , doesn’t look like it’s been fired much . Wandering when it was made , serial # AAA25XX , thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Jonesy is pretty close, your gun was made in 1980 which was the first year of the triple alpha serials and the first year of production of the 581 which began at serial # AAA2006. So, your gun is an early first-production model. It is in remarkable condition to be 40 years old! The grips look righteous to me. While magnas were the standard grip, target grips could be ordered. Congratulations!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jonesy is pretty close, your gun was made in 1980 which was the first year of the triple alpha serials and the first year of production of the 581 which began at serial # AAA2006. So, your gun is an early first-production model. It is in remarkable condition to be 40 years old! The grips look righteous to me. While magnas were the standard grip, target grips could be ordered. Congratulations!
thank you ! thanks for the info also, i don't think that mine was sent back to factory for the recall either , nothing but mod 581 stamped on inside .ill try and send a pic i'm not great with computers .:censored:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking Distinguished Service Magnum. Mine is from the early eighties, as well. It was my first Duty Gun and I carried it for years. I never sent mine back, as it never had a problem. Those grips certainly could have been special order, but PC Magnas came standard. Enjoy that fine and not easily found revolver! View attachment 490436
Thank you sir , beautiful smith u got there also , just something about the old smiths in blue . I also got a pre 27 from around 1956 .

·
Premium Member
20,716 Posts
Yep, MY28's gun did not get modified. S&W will still do the mod but I think it is moot now as the ammo that caused the recall is no longer made.

Don't forget to post pictures of your Pre-27. We like to drool and covet other member's guns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here’s a couple pictures , probably wrong grips also , but can’t complain when this beautiful gun didn’t cost much , serial # S 1639XX , 5 screw and pinned and recessed

Attachments

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Nice examples of some fine revolvers. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Reactions: My28
1 - 18 of 18 Posts