1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
..........Nuth'in beats the old muzzle climb....:D

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
I’m guessing here 400 grain lee cast bullets with 2400 or AA9 propellant?

Thewelshm

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
351 Posts
Just guessing here, but by the looks of the photo, it appears as tho’ it gave you quite a jolt. Did your hands hurt afterwards? Ouch . . .

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
Just guessing here, but by the looks of the photo, it appears as tho’ it gave you quite a jolt. Did your hands hurt afterwards? Ouch . . .
The 500 hurts less than a new Blackhawk in 44 mate..I speak from experience:)

Thewelshm is

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wasn't bad at all,55oz gun soaks up recoil,but it does torque or twist in your hand,only tried 325 and 440 gn loads,had a 750 gn but passed on it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,466 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
My 460V’s ready to shoot, but I’m only going to shoot .45 LC – I admit to being a recoil wimp. I did alot of research prior to purchasing, and shooting a milder ammunition in a heavier gun enables the weight of the gun to mitigate the recoil of the discharge. In this case – I’m told by several people that I respect and trust that this combination should be somewhere in the range of a stout .22 to a weak .38 – works for me.

Unfortunately, I have a health issue hurdle to overcome before I can get to fire it. Soon, or at least semi-soon, I’m hoping . . .

·
Registered
9,466 Posts
My 460V’s ready to shoot, but I’m only going to shoot .45 LC – I admit to being a recoil wimp. I did alot of research prior to purchasing, and shooting a milder ammunition in a heavier gun enables the weight of the gun to mitigate the recoil of the discharge. In this case – I’m told by several people that I respect and trust that this combination should be somewhere in the range of a stout .22 to a weak .38 – works for me.

Unfortunately, I have a health issue hurdle to overcome before I can get to fire it. Soon, or at least semi-soon, I’m hoping . . .
You enjoy that fine weapon when you get a chance mate..

Thewelshm

Reactions: DrDoctor

·
Registered
15,097 Posts

If you want .22 recoil, buy a .22 pistol, lots cheaper, not nearly as much fun.............

Be careful with those in the 460 cylinder.

I speak from experience.

What happens is you build up a carbon ridge in the chambers that you really need to be hard scrubbing out.

First few I sent were 45LC's and they were disappointing to say the least. Like shooting a toy cap gun...lol

Anyway I switched over to my handloaded 250 grain Hornady .452 FMJHP's in Starline brass and they would not chamber easily. That is when I discovered that there was carbon in the end of the cylinder that was impeding the case and that was from 10 rounds.

I had to scrub out the bores with a brass bore scrubber and No.9 to get them to load smoothly. Then the full length cases chambered. I don't find the recoil on the 460 with full house handloads to be excessive at all.

In fact, they are quite tame compared to say a 500 X frame and much tamer than my 29 44 RM, especially concerning muzzle climb. I'm switching over to Swift A frames in Starline instead of the Hornady 452's. Better hunting bullet. Much better expansion and the ballistic coefficient is higher too.... and substantially more expensive as well but Swift's are a more consistently manufactured pill.

I'll most likely go with a 185gn Swift but I may try the 300's as well. MV will be the determining factor.

My philosophy is, if you buy a hand cannon don't shoot feminine rounds with it...:D It's not a lady's gun in the first place. Having said that though, your lady can shoot it just fine with the 45LC. It has no recoil whatsoever.

But then I bought it for one purpose, hunting here in Michigan where there is a straightwall regulation and case length requirement as well. The 500 case is a tad too long for legal use here and I didn't want to go with the straight wall rifles that Ruger and Winchester are now offering.

Probably make a dandy bear gun too. You slam a bear with a 300 grain at 1300 FPS, he's gonna know he's been shot and you have 4 more as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Has to be my favorite hand gun.

Mine is scoped with an old school Japanese Burris (LOE Glass), 2-6 with Talley rings.

It shoots MOA at 100 yards every day and considering the size of the hole, that is all good with me.

Wear ear protection, good ear protection, not a pair of cheap muffs. The report is insanely loud (with the 460 loads) and the muzzle flash as well as the side blow between the forcing cone and the cylinder face is substantial. Be sure to grip the grip and not put your pinkies anywhere on the body of the revolver or you might amputate one....:D

I wear Walkers Game Ears myself. 75db of suppression and you need that.

Figure I better stick in a picture of it as well..... Strictly a biness gun....lol

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want .22 recoil, buy a .22 pistol, lots cheaper, not nearly as much fun.............

Be careful with those in the 460 cylinder.

I speak from experience.

What happens is you build up a carbon ridge in the chambers that you really need to be hard scrubbing out.

First few I sent were 45LC's and they were disappointing to say the least. Like shooting a toy cap gun...lol

Anyway I switched over to my handloaded 250 grain Hornady .452 FMJHP's in Starline brass and they would not chamber easily. That is when I discovered that there was carbon in the end of the cylinder that was impeding the case and that was from 10 rounds.

I had to scrub out the bores with a brass bore scrubber and No.9 to get them to load smoothly. Then the full length cases chambered. I don't find the recoil on the 460 with full house handloads to be excessive at all.

In fact, they are quite tame compared to say a 500 X frame and much tamer than my 29 44 RM, especially concerning muzzle climb. I'm switching over to Swift A frames in Starline instead of the Hornady 452's. Better hunting bullet. Much better expansion and the ballistic coefficient is higher too.... and substantially more expensive as well but Swift's are a more consistently manufactured pill.

I'll most likely go with a 185gn Swift but I may try the 300's as well. MV will be the determining factor.

My philosophy is, if you buy a hand cannon don't shoot feminine rounds with it...:D It's not a lady's gun in the first place. Having said that though, your lady can shoot it just fine with the 45LC. It has no recoil whatsoever.

But then I bought it for one purpose, hunting here in Michigan where there is a straightwall regulation and case length requirement as well. The 500 case is a tad too long for legal use here and I didn't want to go with the straight wall rifles that Ruger and Winchester are now offering.

Probably make a dandy bear gun too. You slam a bear with a 300 grain at 1300 FPS, he's gonna know he's been shot and you have 4 more as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Has to be my favorite hand gun.

Mine is scoped with an old school Japanese Burris (LOE Glass), 2-6 with Talley rings.

It shoots MOA at 100 yards every day and considering the size of the hole, that is all good with me.

Wear ear protection, good ear protection, not a pair of cheap muffs. The report is insanely loud (with the 460 loads) and the muzzle flash as well as the side blow between the forcing cone and the cylinder face is substantial. Be sure to grip the grip and not put your pinkies anywhere on the body of the revolver or you might amputate one....:D

I wear Walkers Game Ears myself. 75db of suppression and you need that.

Figure I better stick in a picture of it as well..... Strictly a biness gun....lol
Very nice,turns out I was shootin a couple of my .22s when the fellow beside me offered me to shoot something with a little wallop

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 460V’s ready to shoot, but I’m only going to shoot .45 LC — I admit to being a recoil wimp. I did alot of research prior to purchasing, and shooting a milder ammunition in a heavier gun enables the weight of the gun to mitigate the recoil of the discharge. In this case — I’m told by several people that I respect and trust that this combination should be somewhere in the range of a stout .22 to a weak .38 — works for me.
I look forward to a range report. I'm wondering if the 45C accuracy suffers in the 460 because of the significant bullet jump in that long cylinder! I've downloaded 460 S&W loads for warmups with very good results. I've not put 45C or 454 thru her.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sparkyv,
Very good question, and on I wish I had an answer to. The guys at the gun store where I purchased it stated that is should handle the .45LC’s fine, but that I’d have to clean it — especially the cylinder — before the longer ammunition would fit easily. They also admonished me to keep my digits away from the barrel/cylinder gap. That I knew, as I remember a case of traumatic amputation of the end of a person’s left thumb from the flame of a large revolver (don’t know the caliber, this was back in the late-70’s).

Stevenstark711,
Having never fired the 500, nor my 460V for that matter (I’ve got a “health issue” to resolve), do you think the recoil of the two guns would be similar??? Me — I haven’t a clue . . .

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sparkyv,
Very good question, and on I wish I had an answer to. The guys at the gun store where I purchased it stated that is should handle the .45LC’s fine.
No doubt it will handle 45C just fine, I'm just curious on accuracy performance.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sparkyv,
Once I finally get to the point where I can go and shoot it, I’ll let you and the others know how it went. Now, as for posting photos . . .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts