Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, how many of you guys still haven't fired a 500?

They weigh 5 pounds a piece, fully loaded which soaks up the recoil. Only thing which still to this day, they are kind of gassy when you shoot them. If you keep your mouth open, your cheeks will puff out some! The little 4 incher is the loudest handgun I believe in existence. When shooting the 500's, I always fear of loosening up a few dental fillings, then I'll need to go visit the dentist. I hate going there. :cry:
I've been shooting them since they first came out. I still have 2 of them. The first one I sold for these two pictured below, which have the removable muzzle breaks which I prefer.
To be honest, I never fired them single handed. For me they are a hands gun for sure!

Years ago back at the club, it was hunting season and the place was mobbed. Many people were firing their rifles over on the rifle range. I pulled up to the range and noticed the pistol range was open, with no one around, excellent! Why I was so excited was 4 years ago I was shooting the little 4 inch 500 for the first time.
I remembered it felt good in my hands, not to muzzle heavy like the 8 3/8 model that I also have. It looks mean with the muzzle break, and the price was fair. Anyway I got to the range and no one was at the pistol range...cool. The range has a cement slab a roof and benches to shoot from. Behind me, around 35 yards away were some cars parked, they were shooting at the rifle range. From my bench, I fired one round at 25 yards, it felt much like it's big brother nearly no muzzle flip, surprisingly accurate, only one little difference, the blast was ungodly! I set off a car alarm behind my shooting spot! I waited a few minutes and the car reset itself so I fired another again. That darn car started again weee...wooo...weee...wooo. It didn't take long for the owner to get in his car and leave. Some people are so sore sometimes. Next time, I thought to bring more ammo!

Like I said, it's little but it has a big, big bark. :mrgreen:

Here is a 44 mag model 29 next to a 500

22LR and 500 case

·
Registered
570 Posts
I enjoy mine 8-3/8 standard fixed port..
recoil isn't as bad as i though it would be, still get's your attention....quickly.....but not enough to be scarry....
as for muzzle blast... oh my... nothing like watching the leaves on the ground moving for several feet in front of you when you touch one off.....
also i've noticed that everyone thats shot one devlopes a case of the "giggles" or at least has a mile wide grin.. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
All right, I confess, I have still not shot one of these "hand cannons". I have seen a couple for sale with a box of ammo included, which stangely enough was missing 5 rounds. Don't they make the .500 in a 2 3/4 inch version also? I would like to try one out, but i haven't run across one in use at the club that I frequent. Has the price of ammo come down for these pistols?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hmmmmmm....let's see.. .50 cal.... that should be somewhere around a .28 gauge......i think ? .....might be fun on snakes and maybe bunnys at close range....

and Tusker "i just gotta know" where did you get that leather?
it looks fantastic..... and i NEED to find something.. this carrying around with the barrel shoved in my pocket is getting kinda silly... i'm tired of telling people i'm just actually really ,really happy to see them..... :lol:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodbuster said:
Has the price of ammo come down for these pistols?
I reload for mine, so this is the best option, but the off brands are almost affordable. Check out the on line stores.
;)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I had the offer to shoot one, but declined. With all the metal work in my neck, I was not up to being in pain or haveing to go to my doctor to have it all redone. Recoil is no longer a fun thing for me. 50rnd of .44SPL at 800fps is enough to send me running for my meds.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I reload for mine as well. Not up on current prices for factory ammo but the last time I did the math I was saving $75.00 a box of fifty by reloading.
The Leather is a cross draw by TUCKER. You need to tell him if you have the higher sight, and to be sure and include a belt keeper. It is a real pain not having one. This rig carried just fine in Colorado about 3 or so years ago. Sorry to say the elk never got closer than 1000+ yards. :( :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
the LITERAL persuader, and my literal "just because" response when my wife asks "why do you want that gun?"
:lol:

G

·
0 Posts
kritter said:
... nothing like watching the leaves on the ground moving for several feet in front of you when you touch one off.....
also i've noticed that everyone thats shot one devlopes a case of the "giggles" or at least has a mile wide grin.. :D
3 guys at the local range left after I started shooting my John Ross 500. I was watching the grass and leaves in front of the gun moving in my peripheral vision and started giggling like a school girl every time I touched one off. The guy with me said they thought I was a bit "off".

I wasnt off. I was hitting the target at 25 pretty darned well !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts