Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...about the actual pleasures of your caliber AND which barrel/ammo you find most useful....

I'm being slowly drawn to them in spite of knowing better AND having absolute NO use for such....

Guy made such an offer to sell me his SNUB 500!!! Almost couldn't walk away....rather mesmerizing....and that was months ago....

Where and how do you use them? What's the typical round count for a shooting session before economics & physiological thresh holds have been soundly exceeded? Do you reload?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine about 2 months ago. First time out, I let a friend (more experienced) be the first to shoot it. I wanted to see recoil behavior. It looked pretty tame when he shot it so I had a go. He shot 2 rounds and I shot 5 that day and my hand hurt for about 2 weeks. We were shooting 400 gr Magtech soft points.

I bought a recoil glove and could shoot any round in it now and it wouldn't be a problem for multiple round shoots. I actually don't have any problem not using the glove now.

I hand load and am using a mix of 275 gr copper hollow points, 350 gr soft points, and just ordered 500 gr soft points. Lighter bullets are much easier on the recoil.

Mine is a 8 3/8" barrel with the hi-viz sight and interchangeable muzzle brake. It seemed like the most proportional sizing of barrel for my purposes and I wouldn't change that after owning it.

It's my most "fun" gun and I really enjoy shooting it. It's a lot of kick, lots of effect, very accurate by handgun standards, and pretty much useless unless you have an elephant problem in your yard.

Mine has broken twice. First was internal to the trigger mechanism and S&W fixed it free of charge over about 2 weeks. Currently, the set screw that holds the shaft that the cylinder rotates out of battery on (when you flip it out to unload/reload) has broken. I don't know if this is an ongoing issue and it's a home fix if you have the set screw. I'll be calling S&W tomorrow on that one. It's actually useable right now.

Last weekend, my friend and I shot about 100 rounds in it and enjoyed every shot. Watching my friend after his first time was awesome and I wouldn't doubt that he'll be wanting one soon. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but everyone who's shot mine is in love with it.

I can't imagine what it would do to a living being that was shot with it. It's supposed to be able to stop anything that walks the earth. I wouldn't recommend it for close quarters (like in the house) because it will blow windows out. It's stupid-loud. I generally use the spongy ear plugs and cup type protectors at the same time.

It irritates other shooters at the range.

FWIW, I love mine and have no intention of selling it on disappointment. It's an absolute joy to shoot and very exhilarating.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks lnyxpilot....that's the best user review I've ever read about the 500....

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
That was a great review! I bought one when they first came out in 2004 (or was it 2005?), and really like it, although have not shot over 100 rounds thru mine. Reason being is that I'd just rather shoot my favorite, the .44 Special. I also have a 45-70 revolver (Magnum Research) just because, and it resides in the safe along with the .500, and comes out once or twice a year just for fun. Do I need either of those revolvers? Heck no, but they are fun! And thats what its all about! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
iuhjga;

Hello all-

I honestly don't understand descriptions such as the one originally posted here about hands hurting for two weeks, etc.

I've fired roughly 1500 rounds through my 500 4 inch, having only owned it for about a year, and have NEVER had pain that lasted like that at all. The only exception was when I allowed my shooting thumb to rise a bit high and the cylinder release scraped my thumb knuckle like a rasp file on recoil. Other than that...I find this gun HARD-kicking & extremely LOUD...but VERY shootable--even with fairly heavy loads (550 gr).

What gives?
Are my hands just numb?
Am I Sasquach? :D
-Or are some people just extremely sensitive to recoil?

Markuson

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would add...that the most uncomfortable re-coil has come from my 44 mag mountain gun, firing Alaskan-made grizzly-specific rounds. It nearly tore the webbing between my thumb and finger...but even that didn't hurt for more than a few minutes...

Anyone?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There continues to be a 6" 500 Mag in a dealer's case at $895...sitting there for months on consignment....

I'm not anticipating acquiring a revolver that routinely requires calling in grid coordinates to a forward spotter....and ammo here is very spendy. I managed to walk away from a snubbie for a real deal last year.

...500s continue to murmur behind my back.... hipnp

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have been plinking with this gun since they came in 2003. I special ordered mine and waited like 5 months before they called that mine was in.

I laughed like a little kid when I first saw it, as it reminded me of a cartoon gun that bugs bunny would pull out of his outfit.
When the gun first came in I was mending a broken hand. It was mostly healed so I was delayed in shooting it for the first time. While I waited to fire it, I hunted for brass, reloading dies and started rolling my own. I ordered several boxes of Corbon ammo too, @ 40 bucks a box as this was the only ammo available.

The old ammo used large pistol primers, and that's the stuff I was geared up for. Later they changed the brass to large rifle and I modified my brass for this as well. (difference is the rifle primer pockets are .005 deeper) I was getting hang fires with the pistol primers as the Hodgdon H110 didn't like the cold weather.

I haven't had any issues with the guns and they seem to be of good quality.

The first time I fired it, was kind rough on me. I was working up my hand using 44 magnum full power loads and I was shooting them with no problem. I figured the hand is good to go. Well, I thought....
I fired a 400 grain bullet and nearly dropped the gun. I thought I broke the hand again. 1 shot and I was limping back home!
I rubbed the hand for a while and the pain went away. What I did was, I was so tight with my forearm as I was to shoot it, that when the gun fired it's recoil jammed the bones and joints affecting the hand. I went back a week later convinced I could shoot it. I loosened up my shooting stance, relaxing my elbow and I fired 40 off without any discomfort.

I traded the first one away and bought the removable comp models, the 4 and 8 3/8 inchers. I use to remove the comp to shoot it and I made a plug for them now. The porting really is annoying and I found them to shoot like 44 mags with a touch more recoil without the comp.

The gun is a re loaders dream as the ammo is much cheaper if you make your own. Plus you can tone it down some if you wish. I noticed with the iron sights that POI is greatly affected with the loads you use, so stick with a load or you will be forever be adjusting your sights.
Last winter, I fired with the 4 incher at 200 yards and the POI is nearly the same as at 25 yards using my 350gn loads. I wasn't making groups on paper just shooting at a mark in the snow.
The gun is not for everyone, but if you like recoil or big holes, this is the gun for you!

A couple movies :
One is a S&W engineer shooting the 500. Notice how the recoil is affecting is grip. The shooting finger is trying to catch up and it's depesssing the trigger causing the gun to unlock. This is the reason of some of them unlocking and rolling backwards....
Another movie where a guy is shooting the 500 like a auto pistol (bump firing). I don't know the history of this video, but I believe it to be true.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v508/ ... motion.flv

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v508/ ... double.flv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts