Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Philmo, you are using trajectories to try to prove your point. I didn't mention trajectories, I said, 'velocity has nothing to do with how FAST a bullet drops, which is true. Fast, as I've used it, is the rate at which a bullet is accelerated vertically by gravity. There is no horizontal component of speed in that calculation.

What you've said about trajectories is also true.

We are both talking about two different things. We're both right.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m using fast drop as it relates distance covered. How long the bullet takes to get there in seconds is irrelevant. No one ever said, “awe crap. It shot that deer and killed it but it took 3 seconds to get there. I’ll have to be faster next time”. The only thing that is important the drop is at a given distance. A “faster” drop is one that drops more over the distance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Philmo, you are using trajectories to try to prove your point. I didn't mention trajectories, I said, 'velocity has nothing to do with how FAST a bullet drops, which is true.
This is what was said and is why we are having the discussion. It’s simply not true. Their trajectories are different and velocity has everything to do with it.

All bullets follow a similar trajectory, regardless of velocity.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Nope, all bullets follow a similar trajectory known as a parabola, regardless of velocity. Some are flatter than others but it's still a parabola.

End of discussion, for me.

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
A physicist friend of mine says that a bullet dropped will hit the ground at the same time as a bullet fired parallel to the ground. I haven't been able to test this out.
MythBusters did it with a 45acp. They set up in a huge hangar so there would be no wind interference. They built a mechanism timed to drop a bullet exactly when the fired bullet left the barrel. The 1911 was perfectly level at I believe 30 inches as was the bullet to be dropped. The high speed film showed they hit the ground at "Almost" the same time. The very slight difference was because the fired bullet faced more air resistance. Since the gun started low and perfectly level the bullet traveled less than 100 yards. You can probably find it on You tube

·
Registered
113 Posts
MythBusters did it with a 45acp. They set up in a huge hangar so there would be no wind interference. They built a mechanism timed to drop a bullet exactly when the fired bullet left the barrel. The 1911 was perfectly level at I believe 30 inches as was the bullet to be dropped. The high speed film showed they hit the ground at "Almost" the same time. The very slight difference was because the fired bullet faced more air resistance. Since the gun started low and perfectly level the bullet traveled less than 100 yards. You can probably find it on You tube
Gravity is a constant.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts