Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out shooting with Curt & Tim on Saturday, we decided to try stretching our handgun shooting out to 50 yards and I had just the revolver to do it with. We spend most of our time shooting at 100 feet and less since we tend to focus on self defense oriented shooting but Saturday after our closer range practice we moved back to the 50 yard line to shoot rifles. Before we the out, I pulled out my 625-6 and suggested we see how we could do
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

We were shooting 200gr SWC over 3.8gr of Clays.
Here is Curt. We forgot a stool and he has to watch is hip movement so he was in an awkward looking position, but still nailed 4 out of 6
Snow People in nature Wood Branch Sunlight

I am right behind him here. The target is a rectangular , red plate at about 11:00, just below the snow-line
Snow Sky Plant Slope Branch

Here, I’ll zoom in for ya.
Ecoregion Snow Branch Slope Freezing

At 100 feet it is pretty easy to hit, but moving back another 50 feet turns the target into a large postage stamp. I did a little action work on my 625 a couple years ago. Nothing severe, it sets off all primers but it sure is smooth. We all were able to score multiple hits and I plan to try it again

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
New use for a “workmate”

Thewelshm

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That 50 yards is the "0 rise or fall" for the 45 ACP. Glad you were able to keep them in the postage stamp. Do like the accuracy of those 200 Gr LSWC
Yep they do show good accuracy. The plate is actually 11" by 13", but at 50 yards it sure shrinks down, or maybe I need new glasses :)
I got to looking at the notebook where I keep track of any modifications made to revolvers, the before and after results, and any other issues they may have. The 625 was at a 10# trigger pull. I polished the rebound slide and frame where it rides, along with that frame area. Lightly stoned a couple rub spots and installed a Wolff reduced power rebound slide spring at 16#. That took me 9.25#, but it's so smooth that if I told it was 8.5# you would believe it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Glad to hear a range report, and happy you all were able to get out and play for a while!
Love the 625! That is awesome..

You all are pretty die hard shooters, to brave temps like that to burn powder. Its been pretty cruddy here in Kansas, so with that, and being pretty busy, I have not fired a shot for some time now.

Longer ranges are a lot of fun. It was more fun, when I could see better. :) A few years back, my Brother and I used to shoot 200 yards with our Ruger Redhawks. Pretty heavily loaded with 24.5 grains of 4227 and a 240 grain Keith type cast SWC.
Shooting off of a rest, and with practice we could hit 12 inch steel plates fairly often.
By that I mean a couple times, somethings more, out of a cylinder full. Off hand is a different deal, as we were lucky to hit one at all.
My current favorite revolver is a 14.3 with an 8 3/8 barrel. With 3.5 grs of bullseye and the Lyman 358 - 477 bullet, it is pretty easy to make hits at 100 yards, or more. Shooting from a supported position, and once you learn how much front sight to hold up above the rear one, its easier than you would think.
I am a reader of Elmer's writings, like many of you probably are. I know he probably stretched the truth a little, but his teaching about long distance shooting have proved to be very helpful, and spot on.
It's funny how many people think a Pistol is just a short range weapon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Long range pistols are something many don't practice.

Spring and summer, when we are shooting every week, most of our drills are inside 15 yards. We do generally shoot at least one 10 shot slow fire string at 25 yards off hand. We have a 2/3 IPSC silhouette at 35 yards which is the 'stop plate' for one of our standard drills.

Occasionally we will do a 'walk back': We start at 40 yards. Each shooter takes 1 off hand shot at a full size IPSC silhouette (18" x 30"). Those who hit move back 10 yards and repeat. We do this with either our carry or home defense pistols. It's great fun. I once got back to 70 yards with my 640 Pro.

The 'Epic Walk Back': We started at 40 yards with 17 shooters. I was shooting a Glock 19 and went out at 120 yards. 3 shooters advanced to 130 yards. 2 missed. My cousin, Joe,, was the survivor. He was shooting a Walther PPQ. When one of us losers made a good natured 'lucky shot' comment, Joe stepped back to 140 and put a round on steel!

The Walk Back is a great low round count drill.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
How high over do you have to aim at 50 yards or are the sight adjustable enough??

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
We used to do a lever gun shoot at the club and the final 5 rounds were for a 18 or 24 inch plate at 100 yards. After embarrassing myself by missing it 5 out of 5 I grabbed my 627 Pro Series 8 shooter and hit the plate 5 out of 8 D/A. Long guns and I just never got along but I keep trying.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts