Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's predicted for tomorrow...

But I'm a day behind in reading the Snow. First light tomorrow I'm heading out. Want to figure out some of the Coyote's lair's. Gonna take a Flintlock Smoothbore out to take advantage of any Partridge warming in the trees later on. That and my .41 Maggie... :)

Best thing about the snow....this White Boy can track as good as any skinny arzed Quarter Cherokee Injun'... in a Peach Grove.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You tryin' to start trouble?

It's almost zero here at the Big Lake already.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It was only 42 here Wednesday,but this b-i-t-c-h was out hunting. I don't usually bother to keep these things,but a friend wanted one to mount. I was happy to oblige. She musta been attracted to the deer blood on the tailgate. :mrgreen:

f.t.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
All I know......it's too cold for me. I may go for a walk this afternoon. It's warming up to the 20's today! I don't know how you stand it, Giz. :roll:

FT, It is amazing that coyotes can have different color coats. Every one that I've seen around here (not many) is different shades of dark and light gray. They look almost like a German Shepard, but act more like a wild animal. I've always been hesitant to shoot one in the woods. In this suburban area, a lot of pets roam the woods, and probably chase deer.....making them a nuisance. But, I don't need the hassle of killing someone's dog. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
507 Posts
Most of ours are as you describe Bob. This is the first one I've seen like this. I figured my buddy would be interested. That's why I even bothered to go get it. I've also seen a solid black one,but he hasn't presented me with a shot.
f.t.

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Go outside when it's that cold,,,,,,, on purpose?
Yer nuts

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell Mick,

That's relatively warm. Coldest I've seen is minus 42 up in Carrabasset Valley. The copper wire contracted enough to snap some telephone poles off at their bases an dangle the whole dang thing vertical in the middle of the roads. Pretty weird thing to see.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
32,502 Posts
Here in central Texas we have all ya'll beat. It has been getting up into the 60s during the afternoon. ;)

Nights are still plenty cold...especially for Texas.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
FT, I also saw a black Coyote in the woods, while still hunting thru the woods in western Southwick, Mass.. (i used to live there 20 years ago.) As I approaced a bushy area, he streaked off........like he was shot out of a cannon!!!! confused02 Bob

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Whoo-hoo! Threads like this always make me glad I'm still in the SF Bay Area. It's in the 50s or 60s here every day, usually in the 40s at night. Really cold nights it gets down in the mid-30s; a cold rain can be pretty miseerable. 'Course I keep threatening to move to the Texas hill country, where my oldest son and his family reside, but they had snow flurries there before Crhistmas. It even snowed in Houston!

We hear the coyotes every night just about all summer long because we tend to leave our slider open off the bedroom, and we're only about two blocks from where the mountain range starts. Can't hunt 'em, because it's all privately owned range land. But we hear 'em.

As to color, ours look pretty much like those in the pictures, but the color can vary, probably because of occasional out-breeding with feral dogs (all canids can interbreed, and all the offspring are fertile.) Someone once told me that coyotes actually are just a smaller subspecies of wolf.

Try to stay warm, folks.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts