Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

I've been poking around and can't locate any decent instructions on fully stripping my new "gunsmith special" .38S&W. A couple of the vintage parts sites have a part list with a numbered diagram but that doesn't quite cut it.

Before I tear it down I would really like some advance info. A step by step pictorial or video would be great. Even an accurate exploded view would be helpful.

This is for the top break exposed hammer DA version that was manufactured between about 189something and 1905 or so.

Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Try Jerry Kunhausen’s “The S&W Revolver A Shop Manual.” It may be out of print but it’s the best reference I’ve found.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
A couple of the vintage parts sites have a part list with a numbered diagram but that doesn't quite cut it.
Yeah, Numrich has a schematic that shows the parts, but it's no help for where or how they go.

Got a digital camera or cell phone? When I go to tinker with one of my oldies, and I have a few, I take pictures as I go. Helps to put things back together correctly. :D
Making a DYI exploded view helps too.

John

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
20,139 Posts
You want David Chicoine's "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West."

If all you want to do is field strip the gun for cleaning, it's pretty simple. Break the barrel to 45 degrees, hold up the latch then unscrew and remove the cylinder (right hand thread). Clean and reverse to reinstall. Also, look on YouTube. There are lots of "how-to's" on various makes of top breaks. IJ and H&R did a lot of copying.

Reactions: Hondo44
1 - 6 of 6 Posts