Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ya wanna know where I first saw a Smith & Wesson 460V? It was in the movie RED. The character of Marvin Boggs, portrayed by John Malkovich, carried one with the longer compensator in place (I've got the shorter one in place on mine). I was smitten by that gun!!! Upon doing some research, I discovered what he was carrying. I was so intrigued by it that I went to my gun store of choice, and garnered additional information from them. I already had an order in place with them for a Taurus 6” Raging Judge, but after several months, they still couldn’t locate one. They even contacted the company, but got no response. So, I told them to cancel the Taurus order, and instead order me a 460V. After a couple of months, I became frustrated (again), so I wrote a letter to the CEO of Smith & Wesson. About a week later, one arrived at the gun store, but it was in such bad condition (they said it looked like it’d been fired alot, and then cleaned with a dirty, gritty, cloth), being severely scratch and filthy. They called their distributor, who replaced it with an overnight delivery, so it was at my gun store of choice the next afternoon. And, that the beauty that’s residing in its presentation case that I made shortly after I got it. Ain’t life good??? And, name any other major corporation that would respond to an individual regarding obtaining a difficult-to-obtain product . . . Smith & Wesson's the only name that comes to my mind — truly a stand-up corporation, and CEO!!!

PS – I especially like the scene where Marvin Boggs (John Malkovich’s character) has his “high noon” style showdown with the woman firing an RPG at him. He calmly stares her down, and when she fires, he one-handed fired his 460V at the incoming projectile, striking it squarely on the detonator, causing it to explode, and the ensuing fireball engulfs his opponent. After which Frank Moses (the character portrayed by Bruce Willis) tells Marvin “great shot”. Marvin cooly replies “Thanks”, and they both walk off – victorious.

·
Super Moderator
33,380 Posts
I had one for awhile........a short while. Took it out and discovered that it's a bit too much for me (can't rapid fire/double tap) and it's a big dang thang.

View attachment 453445

View attachment 453447
Can't blame you there. I learned long ago that .357 Magnum is my limit on handgun recoil. I have shot .41 and .44 Magnum and just had to say: not my thing!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Can't blame you there. I learned long ago that .357 Magnum is my limit on handgun recoil. I have shot .41 and .44 Magnum and just had to say: not my thing!
For whatever reason, I find the 460 easier to shoot than a.44 mag. Less snappy.

The two oldest boys almost broke the bank last time I took them to the range with it. 10 Fricking BOXES!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I had one for awhile........a short while. Took it out and discovered that it's a bit too much for me (can't rapid fire/double tap) and it's a big dang thang.

View attachment 453445

View attachment 453447
I did the same. I can deal with the recoil but the "shock wave" concussion was just insane. It was a must have gun just due to "cool factor" I even reloaded for it. But I actually had no use for it. I don't hunt and taking it to the range got old very quickly. It was not fun. Much like shooting full house 44 or 357 mag loads. The thrill is gone
I bought the 460 over the 500 so I could shoot 45 Colt from it but as you say it's to heavy and I have a N frame 45 Colt

So it's gone and no regrets.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I did the same. I can deal with the recoil but the "shock wave" concussion was just insane. It was a must have gun just due to "cool factor" I even reloaded for it. But I actually had no use for it. I don't hunt and taking it to the range got old very quickly. It was not fun. Much like shooting full house 44 or 357 mag loads. The thrill is gone
I bought the 460 over the 500 so I could shoot 45 Colt from it but as you say it's to heavy and I have a N frame 45 Colt

So it's gone and no regrets.
I have noticed that the shock wave does help clear my sinuses. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I would if I knew how. I admit that I’m “electronically challenged”. Hell, I can’t even get that great picture of R. Lee Ermey copy/pasted to this comment.
My 460V looks like the one in the photo above from Oldgungeezer, with a couple of exceptions — I polished mine to a high-chrome-like shine, and the grips — mine now has target-style grips that I made shortly after I got the gun made from a piece of Kansas Black Walnut (from a tree in Reese, Kansas).
I can relate to WendyZXZ’s comment, but I’m more of a recoil wimp than probably anybody else who frequents this site — I’m not going to shoot anything stronger than .45LC’s in the 460V revolver, and I won’t shoot anything stronger than .38 Specials in my 4” 686 .357 Magnum revolver.
Warmest regards to all . . .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had one for awhile........a short while. Took it out and discovered that it's a bit too much for me (can't rapid fire/double tap) ....:
]
Double tap, really,

I guess you would want to double tap an RPG if you could get one...

I shoot a 460 and a 500 on occasion, but hardly more than 20-30 rounds at a time. I have found that shooting them has actually helped me improve my grip and control of smaller calibers. If you can learn to control the recoil of either 460/500, other guns feel like the daisy BB gun you had as a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sparkyv,

My wife wants to ask you a question, so I’m turning this one over to her . . .

My husband, DrDoctor, read the comments in this article to me, and I liked them all. I was especially taken with your comment re: the name you gave your 460V. My husband calls his the “hand cannon”, but I like your name (“the Pig”) better because it came from the movie. I’m trying to talk him into calling his gun “the Pig”, but he says that’s already taken. Would you mind if he called his big gun “the Pig”, too? Thank You.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts