Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the 460 cases in the 460 revolver expand quite a bit. When resizing, particularly the last quarter inch to half inch of the case is a considerable squeeze On the case after heavy 325 grain lead cast bullets are shot. I leave the last 6.0 in an inch of the base of the case alone, as I found it unnecessary to resize the tail end of the case as it re-chambers wonderfully . It doesn’t seem to be excessive but... Anybody else find this to be the case or do I just have an extremely large chamber in my revolver?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just fully size them, but it seems to me that I came across this before. Other than ease of resizing, there may have been another benefit, but what it may have been I cannot recall. Other more experienced will likely chime in.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Only 'situation' I have is cracking case mouths (Starline Brass). I actually anneal the case mouths now because of the very aggressive crimp I apply. Never had an issue with the brass expansion near the base of the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response guys.
I believe these cases in particular were over powered in that the lead was soft on these rounds and when I lit them off, I though the gun was going to explode. (perhaps the lead was causing excess pressures as it filled the entire barrel up with lead when I looked down it after range time was done)
Getting hit in the face from particles coming from the hand gun, is a bit frightful, especially when I shot off some full loaded 454 cassul speer 300grain deep curls and they were sharp kicks but no spraying of parts in my face going on.... and were fun to shoot.. I was a bit worried, after the cases required a bit of force and needed lube, otherwise the resizing die would want to shave of some of the brass casing.

My later loads with the same:Lyman 325grain lead mold, using Linotype lead.and they didn't spit anything out the ports and my barrel had NO LEAD in it... unlike the previous molds, that leaded up the entire barrel, from start to finish... (took better part of 2hours to get it all out of the cyl. and the barrel)
These cases didn't require the same amount of force to full size, but latter realized I didn't need to full size them anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only 'situation' I have is cracking case mouths (Starline Brass). I actually anneal the case mouths now because of the very aggressive crimp I apply. Never had an issue with the brass expansion near the base of the case.
I learned the hard way about annealing.. Got the tips of around 300+ casses of 44 mag too hot, and the case mouths never stiffened up (can crush it easily by pressing it on the counter top)
There is some really bad youtube videos that steered me the wrong way about it... You DO NOT want to get them red on the tips.... not good results but I was wanting to do something as the cases were cracking, as my dad had loaded them up 10years + prior and out of 100, 5 or so would crack half way down the case.
But hey... the softened cases never cracked again!...😁
I will use them in my lever gun and leave them at the range, after doing some cowboy action shootn.. as they have worked fine with lighter loads.. the Hot loads causes the cases to overexpand, and the case of course doesn't rebound like brass should and then stick in the lever gun, and require a very stern clack of the lever... interesting enough, the short 44 mag handgun, obviously doesn't increase the pressures like the longer barrel in the lever gun, and they extract w/o issues in the wheel gun even with full loads.

Livn learn... I guess..

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
I learned the hard way about annealing.. Got the tips of around 300+ casses of 44 mag too hot, and the case mouths never stiffened up (can crush it easily by pressing it on the counter top)
There is some really bad youtube videos that steered me the wrong way about it... You DO NOT want to get them red on the tips.... not good results but I was wanting to do something as the cases were cracking, as my dad had loaded them up 10years + prior and out of 100, 5 or so would crack half way down the case.
But hey... the softened cases never cracked again!...😁
I will use them in my lever gun and leave them at the range, after doing some cowboy action shootn.. as they have worked fine with lighter loads.. the Hot loads causes the cases to overexpand, and the case of course doesn't rebound like brass should and then stick in the lever gun, and require a very stern clack of the lever... interesting enough, the short 44 mag handgun, obviously doesn't increase the pressures like the longer barrel in the lever gun, and they extract w/o issues in the wheel gun even with full loads.

Livn learn... I guess..
Use Templac. I do. I use an Annealeze in a darkened room so I can observe the case color. All you want is a slight dull red, nothing more and a properly annealed case will appear purple after it cools.

Toss the over annealed cases, they are dangerous,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts