Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With information from SC of S&W III. First two digits are caliber, except for the 39XX, 59XX, and 69XX that are all 9MM and kind of the 35XX that is the .356TSW.
Third number is type of model. 6 is for nonstandard barrel length, ie, 4 1/4. Fourth number is 6, for stainless frame and slide.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nice 4566 you've got there! I had one a bot ago, but traded it off for something or other. Prolly another wheel gun. I was actually without a .45 for a while until I bought my new Colt Commander XSE.

I'd get another 4566 though if the deal was right...nice guns.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trigger is nice {but takes getting used to after shooting a 1911 for years and well seasoned Smith revolvers for a few years}, and the three dot sights are the cat's meow too. I am sorry I shunned these pistols before.
Tanks for the tip on the replacement springs too Cush. Midway got it taken care of kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have nothing but love for the 45XX series guns. They eat and feed just about anything. Accuracy has been for me always good to great, and the 4566 I have now is just so much fun to shoot!!!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the Hogue grips? Seems like the Pachs I have tried get a bit slippery with a bit of sweat. Drew posted on another thread about the palm swell grips from a 1076 working a bit better but have not got around to looking seriously at them. Not sure if the ones on the S&W web sight are the ones with palm swells or not.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I like the Hogue grips on her, they have just enough tackiness to not slip around once the hand gets a little sweaty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OP said "Fourth number is 6, for stainless frame and slide."

Is this supposed to hold true for all 3rd gens? because my 6906, marked 6906 on the frame, has an aluminum frame, which, by definition, should be numbered a 6904, as the 4 is an aluminum frame, as in 5904, SS over aluminum double stack, or 3904, stainless over aluminum single stack.

Any idea about this disparity?

and yeah, after seeing this thread, I now want a 4566. Thanks, thanks a lot...... Will it take standard 1911 mags?

lihjgq; (have lurked a while)

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
'the book' says the number 3 indicates an aluminum frame with a stainless slide. The book has some mistakes in it, this may be one of them. The description of the Model 6906 is as you have and flies in the face of the list of number meaning.
No, 1911 magazines will not work in a 45XX model

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 4566 is my favorite S&W 45 semi auto. I just found a Melonite 4566. Been searching for one for years. Accurate, reliable and looks good doing all that. It does not get any better in a 45 than the 4566. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
18DAI said:
The 4566 is my favorite S&W 45 semi auto. I just found a Melonite 4566. Been searching for one for years. Accurate, reliable and looks good doing all that. It does not get any better in a 45 than the 4566. Regards 18DAI.
Mine is just the 'plain jane' version I guess, no black coating. no "TSW" prefix but it every thing to me that 18DAI says. I'm liking this pistol more every time I shoot it.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gee whiz Deano, do you shoot that thing or just look at it :mrgreen:
Well kept pistol, Congrats on that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts