Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a like new 4506 with two mags. One mag appears to have been changed per a recall that affected these mags back in the early 90's. It has a punch mark and "2" etched next to it near the floor plate. It also has a yellow follower with a warning etched on the side to "use only yellow followers". The other mag does not have any markings except the usual S&W logo and "45 cal" on the side. I have read the recall on various forums and web sites. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Can't get through to S&W since they are out until 4 Jan, but I've read that the recall is so old that S&W doesn't remember it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forester said:
Did you follow up with S&W?
Yes, I sent an email to customer service on 4 Jan and got no response to date. I re-sent the same message yesterday. I've been tempted to just mail the bad mag to them and see what they do with it. They still sell the 4500 mags according to their online catalog so they are available.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Better off just calling their CS number. Better response than emailing, in my experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forester said:
Better off just calling their CS number. Better response than emailing, in my experience.
I'm beginning to think you're right. Might give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - I got an email from S&W today telling me that the second magazine I have is a newer type that is good and does not fall under the recall. Mine has the plastic floorplate with the crescent depression near the front as described in the recall notice, but it has yellow paint around the hole and on the pin that holds it in place. It also has a black follower which the guy says makes it the newer model. It looks exactly like the picture on their website.

Does anyone have a newer 4500 series factory mag that matches that description?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final update - after a lot of research, I have found the following: The original problem mags had orange followers and smooth feed lips. The feed lips were the problem as they were deforming and letting the bullet slip out at the wrong time in the cycle causing a jam. The replacement mags under the original recall had a yellow follower with a dimple near the floor plate and the number "2" etched next to the dimple. They also had a small dimple on the feed lips and a warning etched on the side that said "this mag must use a yellow follower". After the recall was completed, S&W continued to make proper mags for the 4500 series and these mags had a black follower with elongated dimples on the feed lips. The dimples aparently provide strength to the feed lips at the outer edge. These are what they currently have in stock as accessories. My mag has the black follower and dimples on the feed lips so I'm fairly certain that it is OK. Since this isn't going to be my home defense gun anyway, I'm not going to pursue it anymore. Maybe this will help someone else down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts