Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added another work horse to the collection...I really like the older model full framed Vaquerro's that were capable of handling the Ruger Only loads... ;) Gonna give it a workout tomorrow...

Giz

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Nice! Dang it! I had one several years ago (a .45 convertible). A friend wanted it real bad so I made him a deal on it (I could still go shoot it with him). About 3 yrs. ago he had a heart attack and passed away. So now I miss him and the gun. :(

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Giz,
A fine weapon and stout as a rail!
There is so much you can do with the .45LC cartridge it boggles the mind!
Have fun with that nice new gun.
hpzl;n;
Don

·
Registered
182 Posts
Giz! Those things were discontinued by Ruger because they're dangerous! You need to be very careful. Immediately box it up, handling it with great care. I'll send you my address, and you can ship it at once. I have a place here on the ranch where I can take care of it for you. :roll:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Giz, congratulations those are very nice guns. Just be carefull not to get any Ruger only loads into a later New Vaquero or Colt SAA. Enjoy. Frank

·
Administrator
8,129 Posts
Nice one! And in my favorite caliber too..

Congrats on your find! kfjdrfirii

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
onenut58 said:
I been giving some serious thought about picking myself up a old vaquero.
I'm trying to pick up a few more myself. You use to see them everywhere for pretty reasonable money. But since Ruger stopped making them it's becoming both harder and more expensive to find a good one. I considered myself lucky to find one in the 4 5/8" barrel length. I managed to find the Birdshead in the Sherrif's model style about two months ago. Now I'm looking for the Bisley ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Oh man you just missed one.A ruger old model vaquero bisely in 45 colt for 350 bucks in guns america.There are a bunch of regular grip in various barrel lengths and calibers and finishes for around 400 to 500 bucks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Up here in Maine, I was at the Kittery Trading Post...I had my choice between a Birds Head short barrel and a Bisley....

Go figure, I went with the Birds Head and hoped to get the Bis later....yeah, right! :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
hmmmmmmm, never mind, Thinking too much gets me in trouble sometimes

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never bought a Ruger from a gun auction site. I prefer to handle them and really go over them with a fine tooth comb. Weird, because I've gotten a few S&W's off of the auctions and never had a problem... ;)

Got three Bisley's currently, all target sighted models. It is my favorite gripframe. So I'll try to find one of the 45 colts down the road. With all the CAS fans up here, one is bound to turn up.

Come to think of it, I'm getting a pretty good collection of 45's built up :)

giz

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good looking gun. I've never had one of these ruger revolvers before, but I know that a lot of people have them. My brother enjoys his, although it's not an old model, it sure has a good action.

·
Registered
668 Posts
For SASS I've come to favor a pair of Sheriff Model birds head in 45LC.

Fit my hand, handle the task and load properly, carry nicely....

and the STAY on target I suppose because of the 'bulk modulus' effect....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Well,
I guess I'm gonna have to try one of the Ruger revolvers one of these days, soon. :mrgreen:

Su Amigo,
Dave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts