Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start reloading 45 Colt for use in my TC Contender 10”. I just want a mild load for our poker shoots at 15 yds. Have 100 pieces of brass from some cowboy ammo I received for Christmas. Looking for suggestion on bullet weight and powder(s). I buy a lot of bullets from Acme Bullet Company and would like to continue to do so but should I get lead or coated bullets.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I shoot 255gr hard cast SWC. Plenty of load data out there for them. A lot of people use Unique for their loads. I shoot it out of my 25-5, very accurate and hits pins with authority.

bob

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
I tried a few different polymer coated lead cast bullets, and no longer use them. They probably work fine, but the material gummed up my reloading equipment pretty badly.

Get one of the reloading guides that are published by manufacturers (many are online and free now). These are not recipe books, but rather documentation of experiments. Don't go under or over the powder load levels a don't substitute components, or you're doing your own experiment (without instrumentation).

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
615 Posts
Ask Acme if they have a variety pack containing different bullet weights and profiles. You could then select the one that shoots the best.

Joe A.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to start reloading 45 Colt for use in my TC Contender 10”. I just want a mild load for our poker shoots at 15 yds. Have 100 pieces of brass from some cowboy ammo I received for Christmas. Looking for suggestion on bullet weight and powder(s). I buy a lot of bullets from Acme Bullet Company and would like to continue to do so but should I get lead or coated bullets.

Thanks for any opinions.

Dave
The Acme bullets that I bought were the 250 Gr RNFP coated, great bullets very easy to load. They have a nice crimp groove and best of you dont have to wear no gloves, cause their coated.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Dave,

I use the 255gr LSWC with 7.2gr to 7.5gr of Universal Clays.

Very accurate. Really clean.

Later, Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts