Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at a nice old rifle in .45-70. I have never fired this round.

I understand that it is an older rifle round (mostly replica's). What is your opinion?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
The old trap door rifles can be a hoot to shoot! Beware modern high pressure reloads intended for Marlin lever guns and the like. I would encourage you to load your own following the reloading guides that specify they are for older rifles 8n good condition. The approach I was taught as a kid was to strap the gu into a tire, tie a loooooong lanyard to the trigger and back Up behind a barricade. After you’ve fired a round make sure the gun is still in one piece, the cartridge extraction, look for primer problems and split cases. If you see no problems it MIGHT be safe to shoot. Better bet is to take it to a competent gunsmith who knows the rifle type.

·
Registered
212 Posts
it all depends on how old it is. black powder, or a newer smokeless powder gun.
if it is a newer gun, there are 300 grain, 325 grain, or 405 grain ammo.
recoil is about equal to a 50 cal muzzle loader, or 03-A3 30-06.

this article has all you need to know about the 45-70:

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Working in the gun shop I see and meet lots of shooters that love the 45/70. Even the ladies like shooting it. It seems to be one of the favorite deer hunting cartridges down here. I though it was overkill, but they all say it's perfect for working in the brush because it can power thru much of it.

·
Registered
17,484 Posts
I have two of them (Marlins) and do like shooting it out to about 100 yards. Do use the 405 grain by Remington. If need Black powder Georgia Arms Might have some. Recoil is a lot like my 12 GA Slugs. Have included a document on long rage shooting the 45-70 and seems the 405 gr bullet still has a lot of power behind it. I would get it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
Working in the gun shop I see and meet lots of shooters that love the 45/70. Even the ladies like shooting it. IT seems to be one of the favorite deer hunting cartridges down here. I though it was overkill, but they all say it's perfect for working in the brush because it can power thru much of it.

Reactions: tjctransport

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you like the big boomers for close range work.......nothing better.

Elmer Keith would smile.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have looked at a nice old rifle in .45-70. I have never fired this round.

I understand that it is an older rifle round (mostly replica's). What is your opinion?
I have a LOT of experience with the 45/70 cartridge in BPCR shooting as well as in some of the most modern rifles in today's market. I would like to be of assistance...but to do so I need to know what "nice old rifle" you're looking at. Some people think a 1970's Marlin is a "nice old rifle". Others don't start thinking "old" until they're looking at an original Winchester 1886. Then there's the whole Trapdoor crowd.
The round itself is MOST DEFINITELY NOT limited to: "mostly replicas". The 45/70 is an awesome round that has weathered the test of time and can be loaded to safely hunt pretty much anything on the planet if that's your interest.
I'm always amused to see folks talk about it as a "short range" round. Didn't feel like that when I was banging gongs out on the prairie at 600-800 yds with one of mine loaded with a 500 gn cast bullet ahead of a compressed charge of 70 gns of Goex black powder. To each their own of course...and the 45/70 can be there for whatever you want to shoot.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm always amused to see folks talk about it as a "short range" round. Didn't feel like that when I was banging gongs out on the prairie at 600-800 yds with one of mine.......
Anybody can bang gongs with anything at extreme ranges.......IF you know the exact range or can see the hits and walk your bullets onto the target. When you try to deal with a bullet that drops from ten to twenty-some feet at extreme ranges........God will have to give you a miracle to hit a deer if you're estimating range.

Hunters can only rarely do that, so for hunting the big boomer is indeed a short range round.......maxing out at 150 to 200 yards for most people due to the steep trajectory.

I won't go into the tech details of the radically arching trajectory, but this article will sweep away the fog. 45-70 Govt: The Ultimate Guide To What You Need To Know

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Didn't feel like that when I was banging gongs out on the prairie at 600-800 yds with one of mine loaded with a 500 gn cast bullet ahead of a compressed charge of 70 gns of Goex black powder.
Sure, easy when you KNOW the range, & have adjusted your sights to match. But there's a reason, BPCS shooters almost HAVE to have a partner who can tell them where the hell their shots are landing so they can adjust their sights to get on target.

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dudes,
I got test fire a Marlin .45-70 today at the range. I brought a Winchester Model 30/30 for him to fire.

I'll admit today that the .45-70 has way too much recoil for me. It was like shooting a cannon with your shoulder taking a hit. :)

I am really better with my Winchester.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Beautiful 30-30!!!

Marlin was always coming in second in the beauty portion of the competition.

:D

·
Super Moderator
32,513 Posts
Dudes,
I got test fire a Marlin .45-70 today at the range. I brought a Winchester Model 30/30 for him to fire.

I'll admit today that the .45-70 has way too much recoil for me. It was like shooting a cannon with your shoulder taking a hit. :)

I am really better with my Winchester.

That is the reason I don't shoot the .45-70 here very much, too much kick for my taste!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts