Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a 442 that I recently pressed back into service as a CC weapon after I had some stoppages with my normal carry gun at a range session. I intended to work out the issue with the primary quickly but haven't been able to make it to the range for a couple months at this point. My 442 has the stock overmolded rubber boot grips on it. These grips have been perfect for me. They are small enough not to impede pocket carry, slick enough to draw without snagging, grippy and soft and large enough for extended shooting sessions. Recently I noticed the rubber overmolding separating from the plastic of the grip. Numrich has used replacements but if this is a typical issue (I don't see much about it on the web) I don't just want to traded one problem for another. Other manufacturers make overmolded rubber grips but the look larger and I'm concerned that they might make the revolver more difficult to retrieve from a pocket. I specifically went with the 442 over tthe LCR for this reason.

1) Warranty item? The gun is ~10 years old.
2) Is this separation endemic to all overmolded type stocks?
3) Is there an aftermarket alternative that is likely to last or should I consider going to some other material like wood or G10?

This gun should be dead simple. It should be able to sit in the safe for years and then when needed, function without the need for grip replacement. I want to make this fix one time and forget about it.

Hope y'all can help.

· Registered
143 Posts
I have several sets of VZ's but no J frame grips. Like all the others very well, especially the square frame grips as they are slimmer than factory grips. If you get the checkered ones and they are too sharp, you can remedy that with judicious use of a little fine abrasive paper.

OldFarmBoy

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted the close the loop on this. I ended up calling S&W and explaining the problem. Before I could ask they said they would send me a replacement grip. I should have it in a week to 10 days. Thanks for the suggestions, folks. If the replacement doesn't work out, I'll check the Altamont or the VZs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts