Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can't speak from the self perspective, but I have killed a handful of game, deer and hogs, with various Uberti SA .44 Specials. My favorite load is a cast SWC running around 925-950 fps MV, which has worked every time, without fail. Last year I did use a 243 gr. soft-cast SWCHP running a hair over 1100 fps. Hit at 38 yds., the buck didn't take a single step and the bullet performed perfectly-

This particular load is right on the heels of the .44 Magnum, and in my experience far more power than necessary. I doubt I'll ever use it again.

I carry an old school Bulldog frequently. I found out right away recoil is brutal with heavier bullets, so I cast a 185 gr. SWC and run it 853 fps. It shoots a tad low, but that's no big deal at self defense ranges, and quite accurate and pleasant to shoot. I expect it would work fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I carry a 44 mag Tracker loaded like a hot 44 spl. 215 SWC @ 1100+ fps and I don't feel under gunned for almost any task I would use a hand gun for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've always had a soft-spot for the .44 spl...have never owned a firearm that chambers this wonderful cartridge....I must fix that.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I like the Buffalo bore. 190 gr. Soft Cast HP (1,150fps) for EDC and use their 44 SPECIAL OUTDOORSMAN - 255 gr. S.W.C. (Keith-type) G.C. (1,000fps/M.E.566 ft.lbs.) when I carry my model 69 hunting

21 - 27 of 27 Posts