Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have had this 44 magnum for many years and am trying to figure out when it was manufactured, I am starting to thin my herd out before someone else has to do for me and give the gun away without knowing what it is. My serial number is S 130845, was hoping someone could help me date this gun, it has only been fired several times, bluing is almost perfect. Thanking everyone in advance for their time.

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. Any pics of the .44 magnum? We'd love to see it and it would help answer further questions regarding condition/value.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, what auction sites??? I am in Cleveland Ohio area, I want to sell but do not know where I can sell.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Your gun is most probably one of the 3100 produced in 1956. The first couple of guns left the factory in December of 1955, but not to the public. The first ones went to cartridge manufacturers and gun writers.

S&W did not ship or build guns in serial number order, so using a serial number to date it will get you in the ball park, but won't be exact.

These guns are highly desirable and yours looks to be in great condition. It will bring more if you have the original box and tool set. The box would be the dark blue or black box as the mahogany display cases did not come out until around 1960.

I have a model marked 29 (no dash) four inch that came in the original case and was shipped in December of 1959.

This is an example of the first style box. I apologize for the poor quality photos. The box and gun are in better condition than the photos would lead one to believe, but are the only photos I have now.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hi onlyharley,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

·
Registered
17,580 Posts
Very nice old pre 29. I have seen some in my area from the 60s to 70s approaching 1300 to 1500 with no box. They usually sell fast around 1200 to 1300. That one does look to be in great condition and being a Pre-29 should bring a little more. I would avoid gun stores and Pawn shops as you will get a fraction of the value. You might try posting on this forum but will need to have someone with FFL license to ship. There are members here from Ohio and might be able to help more with Laws and options in your area. Welcome to the forum and good luck with selling it.

Reactions: RLW44

·
Premium Member
18,658 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's a beautiful gun with what looks like Coke bottle grips. If so they're worth about $600 alone. Gun and grips would probably bring between $1500 and $2,000. More with the Box papers and tools. You can sell it here in our classifieds oh, you can sell it on the blue forum in their classifieds. That will reach the majority of collectors that are online. It will have to be mailed through an FFL to another FFL in the state of the individual that buys it. A good gun shop will know what to do about that but they charge for the service. You can also use armslist.com to sell it locally. If you do use Armslist just be careful on how the transfer is made for your safety. Ohio is a pretty gun-friendly state so doesn't have all the restrictions like other Communist States. I don't think it'll last long on the market. Good luck!

Guy

·
Premium Member
18,658 Posts
Go to the top of this forum list and scroll down till you get to the classifieds forum. The blue forum is
Smith-Wessonforum.com. scroll down until you get to the classifieds forum and you can post there. Be careful and read carefully all of the regulations because they don't tolerate deviations.

Guy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ussmanlovede36...checked out gunsinternational and went into blue book of guns value...here this 44 I have is a 5 screw...lol...this like blew my mind...this is a rare gun (so this book says)...they said it started with serial number S130927....mine is S130845 (82 numbers apart)....I wonder if this was some type of salesman or executives gun??? for sure any help now would be appreciated. OH MY I NEED A FACTORY BOX 😁

·
Premium Member
18,658 Posts
Onlyharley, your .44 Magnum is not a 5 screw, IMO. I cannot see a screw in front of the trigger guard. It DOES have a lower serial number than the "official" number in the Standard Catalog. But in several instances, S&W has been known to ship out guns outside the known SN range for whatever reason. It could be as simple as they had an unused frame and wanted to clear it out of inventory. S&W never threw anything away. If I can, I'll see if the expert on these guns will take a look and comment on your gun. Do you have the original box? What is the barrel length measured from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle?

From the SCSW, 4th Edition:
6,500 were manufactured with a 4-screw sideplate in a serial number range of S130000 to S167500 and are classified as Curios and Relics.

(Page 231).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry the barrel is 6"....I am hoping my Uncle from whom I received the gun and he is a retired cop in his 80's has it in his gun safe...any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts