Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if you guys have a favorite load for the 44 mag for hunting.
I like using the hornady xtp 240 bullet and 18.7 gr of 2400 powder, with a federal 150 primer. That's from an alliant reloading book. It's at 10 years old though.

Just curious if there's a combination that may work better for me.
Always open for suggestions.

· Registered
4,095 Posts
I'd say that what you have is a pretty good choice . I would suggest shooting a few across a chronograph to get an idea of velocity . XTP bullets are pretty tough and work best at higher velocity .
I took a whitetail buck in 1990 with a 240 XTP over AA#9 @ 1280 f.p.s. from an 8" Colt Anaconda and it anchored him after four steps .

· Registered
23,469 Posts
240 Sierra Spoitrsmasters in Starline brass with Federal large magnum pistol primers for me. Stops a whitetail right now. Propellant is your choice I never list loads on a public forum. I will say I use Hodgdon propellants. I moved up to a 460 XVR from the 44 for longer range (and bigger animals).

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd say that what you have is a pretty good choice . I would suggest shooting a few across a chronograph to get an idea of velocity . XTP bullets are pretty tough and work best at higher velocity .
I took a whitetail buck in 1990 with a 240 XTP over AA#9 @ 1280 f.p.s. from an 8" Colt Anaconda and it anchored him after four steps .
240 Sierra Spoitrsmasters in Starline brass with Federal large magnum pistol primers for me. Stops a whitetail right now. Propellant is your choice I never list loads on a public forum. I will say I use Hodgdon propellants. I moved up to a 460 XVR from the 44 for longer range (and bigger animals).
240 gr remington semi jacketed hollow point pushed by 22 grs of #2400...................My cast 250 gr SWC pushed by 20 grs of #2400.........All bases covered.
Thanks for the info on those bullets. Wasn't aware of that. I do have a chronograph now. I'll start using it more now.
Is 1280 an average for a xtp round? Meaning I should get mine shooting in that neighborhood.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those Hodgson powders your using, are they pretty clean burning?
I've only used the 2400.
What is the benefit of the magnum primers?

· Registered
11,885 Posts
Hey Skwirl,

I use H 110/296 with the 240gr XTP.

The book "calls for" Magnum Primers with this powder.

Need to be "close" to "max" with either powder.

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and Skwirl

· Registered
4,095 Posts
Thanks for the info on those bullets. Wasn't aware of that. I do have a chronograph now. I'll start using it more now.
Is 1280 an average for a xtp round? Meaning I should get mine shooting in that neighborhood.
1280f.p.s. is from a less than maximum charge out of an 8" barrel 10 feet from the muzzle. The recovered bullet had expanded well but I don't think I'd slow it down any further. Many factors combine to produce a given velocity. Case , primer , powder , bullet , and barrel length are a few. Dialing in a favorite load is part of the fun of hand loading.

· Registered
23,469 Posts
Those Hodgson powders your using, are they pretty clean burning?
I've only used the 2400.
What is the benefit of the magnum primers?
I basically load Bruce Hodgdon propellants for everything except smoke pole. I have an 8 pound jug of Unique on the shelf I've never opened, don't know why I bought it. I seem to get better (more consistent velocity across the chrono with the LPM's and 1200-1350 is good to go velocity wise with a 240grain pill. I really like the Sierra Sports Masters, at least for me I get tremendous expansion and weight retention.

I only load 250's in my 460 though I could load 300's. Sierra again.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1280f.p.s. is from a less than maximum charge out of an 8" barrel 10 feet from the muzzle. The recovered bullet had expanded well but I don't think I'd slow it down any further. Many factors combine to produce a given velocity. Case , primer , powder , bullet , and barrel length are a few. Dialing in a favorite load is part of the fun of hand loading.
Thanks for the info. I'll be using the xtp slug out of a 8 3/8 barrel.
I know any and all components make a difference.
I take all advice and then cross reference, then determine if I'll take a "wag" at it.

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I basically load Bruce Hodgdon propellants for everything except smoke pole. I have an 8 pound jug of Unique on the shelf I've never opened, don't know why I bought it. I seem to get better (more consistent velocity across the chrono with the LPM's and 1200-1350 is good to go velocity wise with a 240grain pill. I really like the Sierra Sports Masters, at least for me I get tremendous expansion and weight retention.

I only load 250's in my 460 though I could load 300's. Sierra again.
Thanks for the info into the Sierra bullets. It sounds like a good alternative bullet.
Good info fellows, many thanks.

· Registered
11,885 Posts
Is the h110 pretty clean?
Hey Skwirl,

H 110/296 are much cleaner than 2400. H 110/296 are "SINGLE BASE POWDERS" and 2400 is a "DOUBLE BASE POWDER"...

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

· Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I took a little time this afternoon and ran 3 different rounds thru the chrono.
Iam pleased with 2 out of 3.
I set the chrono 10 feet in front and target was 40 yds.
I dont get to fancy with the testing, just need to hit a deer inside 40 yds.
Here's what I've found.

1st up,
200 xtp with 2400.
These hit 2.5 in low. Decent group, just low.
I'm out of sight adjustment with the gun. These are not my favorite.
2nd set,
240 xtp with 2400. Averaged 1393 over the chrono.
They hit right over sight at 40 with a decent group.
I'm happy with this one.
3rd set,
240 Sierra jhc over h-110 with a mag primer.
Averaged 1368 thru chrono and hits right over sight.
I'm pleased with this load also.

Next I'm going to try the 240 xtp on top of h-110 with mag primer. I'm expecting similar results.

I was using a m29 with a 8 3/8 barrel today. With Hogue smooth finger groove stocks. These stocks tamed the recoil for me. Full power loads aren't bad at all. In addition, the h-110 loads didnt seem to recoil as hard or as much.
Overall, I learned quite a bit today. Tomorrow it's time to reload a few more test rounds.

· Registered
1,196 Posts
A heavier bullet will hit higher on the target than a lighter bullet. That's why you see the difference between those 200 gr loads and the 240's. I've always been a fan of heavy cast bullets for hunting big game with revolvers. Not a fan of expanding hollow points. A nice Keith type SWC in 250-ish gr weight will plow right through a deer. I also like a 300 gr wide flat point (like offered by Cast Performance Bullets). No need for expanding bullets, you're already .429-.430 bore, just pick a bullet heavy enough to fully penetrate and exit, and then just steer it (aim) through the vitals, and try to connect with a front shoulder on the way in, or way out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts