Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A back door S&W model - some shennanigans involved for those who know the story.. So, what are we looking at ?

a pure S&W hand cannon.. only wish i could have afforded it last time it went up for sale - at least i have the memories.

a pinned & recessed model 29 (yep) - but its a round butt, and there are no sights, a 3 1/4" barrel , and a smooth trigger

·
Registered
93 Posts
A back door S&W model - some shennanigans involved for those who know the story.. So, what are we looking at ?

a pure S&W hand cannon.. only wish i could have afforded it last time it went up for sale - at least i have the memories.

a pinned & recessed model 29 (yep) - but its a round butt, and there are no sights, a 3" barrel , and a smooth trigger

View attachment 467804

View attachment 467805

View attachment 467806

View attachment 467807

View attachment 467809

View attachment 467808
That's what a heck of a lot of folks wanted. Especially the Mod. 58 owners who sought to customize their revolvers.
Yep, a Grail Gun for many... Thanks for the pics. Proof that the creature ^^ exists for at least one or a chosen few.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.... Especially the Mod. 58 owners who sought to customize their revolvers..
there were 3 factory ones made for a customer in 1974, and they were made on a Model 58 frame.. there have been a number of custom made versions based on the M58 since then.

another 'parts list' i need to add to the project list..

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Now that is mighty fine.

Many years ago, when I was shooting at the very first real range I ever saw, a fellow came up to me and started chatting. Never seen him, before or since. But, he asked if I wanted to try his gun. Of course I was like a puppy...sure...sure...lemmie try...lemmie try.

Then he told me it was a 44 Magnum. Even the name scared me, but I couldn't back out. What he pulled out was a BIG snub-revolver. He told me it had started life as a 4" Model 29, but he'd had Fred Schmidt (a local pistolsmith) do a trigger job on it, then cut the barrel back to 2 1/2 or 3", I forget which. Then he had (as he explained it) cut the N-frame grip off, and welded a K-frame grip on. It had then gone off to Magna-Port to be ported, then refinished. Beautiful gun, even if it did have Pachmayr grips as I remember.

I fired a cylinder full through it. First 44 Magnum I'd ever fired. I was surprised that it didn't kick near as bad as the one Clint Eastwood shot looked like. ;)

Now that's a long ago memory but I think the details are right as he told them to me, but I'm no gunsmith. I do remember it was a nice gun.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I believe there were terminations at the factory, loss of S&W Distributorship and possibly federal charges involved in these guns. They also had unique serial numbers.

While these guns were made "off the books," S&W did, later, make similar guns in stainless steel. They made a 629-3 "Carry Comp" or "Mag Comp" (they were called both names) for Lew Horton. They were three inch, fixed sight guns with a top compensator. This particular gun was made in two runs and numbered about 495. Later a lock frame was made with a strange underlug and fixed sights was made in greater numbers for Lew Horton.

Camfour, a Mass distributor had two runs made. The first 629-5 were two and one half inch, full underlug with fixed sights. This was a limited run, but I don't recall the exact number, but very scarce. They also had another run of 629-6 guns, that were similar with the lock and a change in the way the top, rear of the frame is made.

I pursued these guns for many years and was finally able to acquire the Carry Comp at a LGS, who had no idea what it was. I paid less than one thousand dollars for it. I know that S&W prices have softened somewhat, but just before I got mine two were sold, one for over three thousand and the second for fifty three hundred. My cousin had one of the Camfour "-5" guns and he will not sell it. I finally was able to find both of the Camfour guns, one on the other S&W forum and one from an on line auction.

The Lew Horton Carry Comp or Mag Comp (I changed the grips as the original grips don't fit my hand)

The Camfour guns

The trifecta

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very nice @WCCPHD - i have seen the 629 carry comp before - very much in the spirit of the earlier gun. i expect the porting helps quite a bit on the 'hand-cannon' aspect of these

i wouldnt worry about softer prices on these, there are 2 of the Lew Horton 3" versions on gunbroke currently - both in the mid 3 grand territory..

thanks for sharing !

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I believe there were terminations at the factory, loss of S&W Distributorship and possibly federal charges involved in these guns. They also had unique serial numbers.
Wow!! Some beautiful guns and I wold be all over something like that were it not a million dollars but I am interested in hearing more! ..

Was it done clandestinely without S&W corporate approval? Who commisioned them and who took on the job of making them. Sounds like there is a boat load of cool S&W lore and I want to hear it!! :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
I don't recollect all the details. There have been several threads on the other S&W Forum about it. I think a distributor had too cozy a relationship with someone at the factory who was building the special guns and pricing them as production models. I seem to remember ATF got involved, but its been some time since I've read about it. I have been unable to find the original thread, so take what I remember with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Congrats, Nothing like a nice 29-2 , I like mine a lot..!!!
Model 29-2.jpg
Model 29.jpg

·
Registered
24,338 Posts
Reactions: StangMan

·
Super Moderator
33,336 Posts
Now that is a wonderful find and one I have never seen any example of!

Reactions: Boriqua
1 - 18 of 18 Posts