Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Should it have diamond magnas or cokes?
EASY.
Eagles ,if they are laying around , doin nothing.
Diamond Magnas ,,,, if ya like them .

Cokes ,,,,,,, if ya got 'em.

Stag ,,,,, if that floats the boat.

Simple , but I'm old and crankey enough that my guns wear what I want ,,,or have , not what a book says it needs.
For sure aftermarket if it's gonna be a shooter , cuz most factory grips are too valuable to drag around and mostly , they suck comfort wise.
I only worry about what it was supposed to have when it is time to sell it. fhfjjjj

·
Registered
17,444 Posts
I second Needsmostuff, What you have and prefer looks good. That oldsterpretty much stands on its own and will really show some of the newer ones how to shoot. Congrats and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
If you're looking to make it like factory, diamond magnas for Mod 1950.

You'll really like shooting it.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
That gun shipped in 1954 - 1955. It would most likely have shipped with diamond magnas. Your gun became the Model 24 in 1957 when model numbers were assigned.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That gun shipped in 1954 - 1955. It would most likely have shipped with diamond magnas. Your gun became the Model 24 in 1957 when model numbers were assigned.
Yes, it's a S127xxx 1954-5

I just hate paying the price for the diamond magna. I bought some nice ones a while back and put them on a 5" 5 screw pre 27 for $100. Hard to find for less than $200

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Ok not wanting to look ignorant, and the Newbee American..... what exactly does “handejector” mean? Style type or function?

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Ok not wanting to look ignorant, and the Newbee American..... what exactly does “handejector” mean? Style type or function?

Yes......................(both).

I may be all BS with this explanation, but it seems to me that even the other frame sizes used the term "Hand Ejector". Keeping in mind that previously S&W utilized the flip-up and flip-down frames (bottom & top break for loading & unloading) and the new tip out cylinder design was referred to as a hand ejector.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ok not wanting to look ignorant, and the Newbee American..... what exactly does “handejector” mean?

Thewelshm
It means that instead of the fast & effortless ejection of a top-break, the shooter using a S&W with the "new" side-swing cylinder had to do it manually, by hand--open the cylinder with the (counter-intuitive, push-forward) latch, then hit the ejector rod...by hand. Have always wondered why this was considered an "improvement" over the top-break.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
....Have always wondered why this was considered an "improvement" over the top-break.
Because a one piece frame is a lot stronger than a hinge and latch. I can't imagine how bulky a .44 magnum top break would be. :eek:

Reactions: Thewelshm and Cliff

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Because a one piece frame is a lot stronger than a hinge and latch. I can't imagine how bulky a .44 magnum top break would be.
That's true...but do we all shoot .44 Mags? Top-break design was strong enough for .455 Webleys, many of which were later converted to .45 ACP. How much more stopping power do you need (against human beings) than .45 ACP?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
.455s are pretty anemic. Mk II is 262gr at something like 625 fps. I wouldn't be happy with a .357mag top break either.
In any event IIRC that was the cause for the change away from top breaks. It's just a lot weaker design.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
It's awesome the way it looks now!:cool:

Reactions: Cliff
1 - 20 of 24 Posts