Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked this up last week to go with the 629.stubby 16" barrel on this puma in 44 mag.holds 8 + 1 and should be just about perfect in the brush for hogs.
pete

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Very nice, you might want to knock that shin down before you take into the woods. I need to get myself one just for shooting .44spl's.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It'll wake you up on your end, and put 'em to sleep on the other end.

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
I never shot a lever action .44 mag.. I hear that they are brutal........on both ends!!!! :eek: :lol: Bob

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:lol: just depends how you load them up bob :lol: .I had a marlin 44 mag about 12 years ago and used it for hunting the brush.I took several deer with it and had a friend talk me out of it.
my last hog hunt shots were 10-50 yards so I think this little stubby will workout just fine.now I just need to find a load that the 629 and the carbine likes and I'll be set.I brewed up a batch of my 429421's to work with.I will have a range report soon.
pete

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have a Trapper M94 and even top loads are nothing in regards to recoil.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I would consider IMR-4227 Powder with those 240's.... I use 25.0 grns for a snappy sidearm load that shoots well out of a carbine.... do you have any difficulty feeding that sharp shouldered Keith through a tube mag?

My trapper is okay with Special length rounds loaded with these slugs, but sometimes Magnum length rounds are bawky....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 429421 bullet feeds smooth in 44 mag brass.that said the 429360 hangs a bit on the shoulder in mag brass.both feed fine in 44 special brass.
pete

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use 240 jhps and a near-max charge of H110 or 296 in mine. As I stated before, there's enough recoil to wake you up, but I wouldn't call it brutal. Within 100 yards or very little more, it's a deer stomper. I also shot a squirrel with it once, missed the head shot a bit too far back, and it wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
Like I said....I never shot one. I have shot a .30-06 and .45-70.....and a .44mag. handgun. Recoil is very much a subjective issue. Some people can't handle heavy recoil. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Bob K said:
Like I said....I never shot one. I have shot a .30-06 and .45-70.....and a .44mag. handgun. Recoil is very much a subjective issue. Some people can't handle heavy recoil. :roll: Bob
After open-heart surgery, I'm one of them. My previous post wasn't meant to be critical, Bob, just MY subjective report.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
follow up

went to the range this morning and shot it.it is handy stubby carbine.
my bud had his chrony set up so gave it a try.

my cast 250 gr with 16.0 grs 2400 avg 1357 fps.I am sure that would do in mr piggy is short order :D .it was holding a 1 to 1 1/2 group at 50 meters which is MOP (minute of pig) :lol: .

I also put a few rounds thru the ruger 44 mag.the above load shot great and I would say the recoil was stiff in the ruger.the most accurate load in the ruger was 7.5 gr's with my 250 gr bullet.it was cutting a ragged hole with that load.
anyways a great way to spend the day.
pete

ruger

·
Registered
504 Posts
Nice pictures. Nice looking rifle. I would like to pick up a Henry big boy in 44.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts