Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine has a Pietta .44 percussion (brass frame w/ top strap). He shoots loose Pyrodex and loads it up to about 40 grains and worx fine (or so he says). I have seen 30 gr. pellets for sale but was wondering what would be the maximum safe load if using Pyrodex pellets. Is 50 gr. too much? He has a box of 45/50 pellets, but I wasn't totally on board with that so I told him I would ask those who know more about this than either one of us. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
If he will listen to you, suggest he get some real black powder and a good measure. 15-20 grains will be a nice pleasant load to use and provide what accuracy they are capable.

I doubt he will get 50 grains of pyrocrap in those chambers but if he does, go back to your vehicle and drive away. Those brass framed revolvers were made to sell cheaply when folks could not afford $80 for the steel framed versions. They were not built for strength.

Kevin

·
Registered
225 Posts
For a brass frame 25 grains is too much. It won't blow up but it will beat itself to death. It more than likely shows signs of battering already. A steel frame is safe for however much powder you can get in it and still seat a ball.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts